Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine said she wanted to see Tal since she had not seen him for a long time. So I walked him over this afternoon and she commented on how nice his coat is and said I must bathe hime alot. When I said no she just asked why...she thought all dogs needed baths frequently. I responded that Labs don't unless for a medical reason or they get into something really stinky. And then it is best to try and just rinse them.

When she asked why I said it would reduce their coat's ability to keep them warm and repel water (I think that's right).

She didn't know that and thought it was cool. I appreciated her openness to learn!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I never bathe apollo unless he gets REALLY dirty. I don't bathe my ferrets either, it just increases odor. As for my cats I have two short hairs and one long haired (roxie may) poor roxie gets the most baths because she has long hair and she is black. LOL the other day Sam walked into the bathroom and I was squatting in the tub, wearing only my undergarmets, holding a very wet, very soapy, very unhappy kitty lol. He just gave me a strange look and walked out and said "i do NOT want to know! just pretend I never saw anything!" lol!

I don't giving my animals baths because it is more trauma then its worth lol. PLUS I don't even think that dogs and ferrets smell better after a bath. I think they smell worse. I don't like the smell of damp fur. I'll tell ya what DOES work though, those wonderful scented sprays for ferrets and dogs at petsmart. They leave a clean scent, are hypoallergenic, and some are even moisturizing. They DONT cover up the smell, they eliminate them and leave a wonderful smell (like apple/mango) in place of the old offensive odor. THOSE are a life saver when ya have 10 animals like me and you don't want your house to smell like a zoo lol!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
lol you all heard about my bath fiasco with apollo in my other post. Next time he needs a bath a groomer is gunna be doing that lol! NEVER again will I bathe that puppy doggy lol.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was also told the same never bath labs unless absolutely necessary it ruins the oils in their coat, do not know if this is true of not, if Saska get really dirty I hose her down and then rub the really smelly bits with doggy wipes seems to work, her coat is nice and shiny. People do keep telling me I should bath her frequently but to date I have ignored this. Hope it is the right thing to do. ???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts