Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the Westminster Dog Show tonight and when they showed the Lab I had to let out a squeal of combined delight and surprise. The Lab showing tonight was Beechcroft's Study's Top Secret ( James ) and he and my Breezy are both offspring of Beechcroft's Study In Black. It was so exciting to see him; he is stunning! He came in 4th, but of course I was hoping he'd win! Still, it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
James is pretty great, I enjoyed seeing him take a Group 4!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
That is very cool.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
He came in 4th, but of course I was hoping he'd win!
Don't be too upset because a Lab has never even won the group in the history of Westminster. The silver lining in that cloud is there is too much over breeding that results in too many abandoned Labs already. Watch what will now happen to Scotties. The popularity of the BIS always creates a demand for that dog and encourages more BYB.
That said, I too was excited when James made the short cut, but history tempered my hopes he would win. Dukesmom kept saying maybe the Judge would want to be the first to ever pick a Lab but alas, not so this year.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I see on that link that he also won the breed and Group 4th last year. Or did something make a mistake with the dates? He is stunning.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
He really was beautiful. He seemed to have a very gentle demeanor and that level, softly wagging tail was the epitome of a perfect rudder. I was so pleased!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
We watched both nights - I love to see all of the dogs. I hurried home yesterday to get dinner going early so we wouldn't miss any parts. My hubby loves black labs the best. He had a beautiful black girl growing up and hunted with her. He loves Abbey and Coco too but has a real soft spot for any black lab. So when they brought out the Sporting Group and saw James he was glued to the TV. He is really stunning. I really hoped he would make the cut and when the judge pulled him for the short list hubby almost came out of his chair. I was very happy with his finish. Most of the time the lab doesn't even get pulled from the large grouping. Not sure why except that the SG has so many great looking breeds. :clap2:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
James is beautiful! If he looks that awesome on tv, I can only imagine what he looks like in person. :)

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Don't be too upset because a Lab has never even won the group in the history of Westminster. The silver lining in that cloud is there is too much over breeding that results in too many abandoned Labs already. Watch what will now happen to Scotties. The popularity of the BIS always creates a demand for that dog and encourages more BYB...
That's pretty much true, but, fortunately, didn't happen when the Clumber Spaniel won back in the mid '90s. I don't think it happened when Josh, the Newf won a few years ago, either. I think there was an increase in interest in both breeds, but not a population explosion, so to say. But, with Labs being as popular as they are now, it's a pretty good bet it would happen if a Lab won Westmister.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts