Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kyle's dance recitals were this past weekend. I was most impressed with Kyle's ballet this year. This is only his second year of ballet instruction and he has come so far since last year. I just couldnt believe it. I am such a proud mama. This year's ballet production was Candyland and Kyle was a blue lifesaver. The video is a short blurb of Kyle, edited for time.

Video of Kyle dancing: (this was taken with my point and shoot camera so excuse the quality and lack of focus) Its only 2.5 minutes long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68FA1efl1ok

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Will watch from home.

Go blue!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Kyle looks like he has a natural talent for dance, Laurie. You are very rightfully proud of him! I think we will be seeing a lot of him on stage in his adult career.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
He looks so natural at it! You should be proud!!

Meanwhile, I absolutely love that music. What is it, do you know? It's probably something supremely famous that I'll feel like a total idiot for not knowing. :eek:

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
You should be proud, he has a lot of talent and loads of potential. Seriously. I'm a former professional ballet dancer (really) and teacher, and your son is really, really good. He's got great proportions and line. I couldn't really see his footwork because of the sets and his dark pants and shoes, but what I saw seemed very strong and clean. But his upper body (the allignment and movement of his arms, hands, shoulders, head - all collectively called epaulment) is exceptional, and that can be one of the hardest things to teach. That and musicality, which he also seems to have. As Nance said, he also has great stage presence, and that's something that is truly innate and cannot be taught.

How old is Kyle?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! Kyle wants to go to college for dance. We were talking about it last night. He studies hard to work towards that goal. College isnt for 6 more years but the harder he works now, the better he will be then!

Amy, I was wondering about the music myself. I am going to ask his instructor.

Thanks everyone. :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should be proud, he has a lot of talent and loads of potential. Seriously. I'm a former professional ballet dancer (really) and teacher, and your son is really, really good. He's got great proportions and line. I couldn't really see his footwork because of the sets and his dark pants and shoes, but what I saw seemed very strong and clean. But his upper body (the allignment and movement of his arms, hands, shoulders, head - all collectively called epaulment) is exceptional, and that can be one of the hardest things to teach. That and musicality, which he also seems to have. As Nance said, he also has great stage presence, and that's something that is truly innate and cannot be taught.

How old is Kyle?
I really am not trying to brag, seriously, because I really appreciate professional opinion. Kyle's ballet instructor came up to me one day. She is one of those hard core, VERY serious teachers who really push. She says she has never said this to any parent because it tends to go to their heads (and yeah its probably gone to my head a little) but she sees things in Kyle that she rarely sees in any student and with the proper instruction, Kyle could go very far. She doesnt have time to give Kyle private lessons because she has so many classes. So Kyle has doubled up on Ballet classes.

Kyle has this dance journal and he will come home with notes on what he can work on. When his homework is finished he dances. He practically lives at the studio. He is 11 years old. He tried lots of new dances this year. Tap is is favorite. He also does jazz/hip hop (not so much his thing) He loves Modern and tried that for the first time. Next year he is adding Lyrical and Musical Theater.

Yes Kyle can use a lot of improvement but for dancing for such a short time, I think he is doing great and if he keeps this up, I see lots of potential!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I also have to say that I think it's great that you are so supportive of his love of dance. A disappointing number of parents of boys seem to think that dance - especially ballet - is "girly" or otherwise inappropriate for their sons, no matter how talented. Personally, I can't think of anything that is demands more athleticism of men than ballet, no sport I can think of requires the same combination of strength, precision, and artistry. None.

Anyway, I think his teacher sounds like she's quite good. Where are you based? Would you consider sending him to a summer intensive course in another year or two? There are some fantastic programs that would allow him to be completely immersed in the performing arts for 6 weeks or so, and would really give him a taste for what that life will demand if he wants it. They're also a great opportunity to meet other talented kids and see how one holds up in a more elite, competitive environment, as well as a chance to be noticed by teachers and choreographers from professional companies - critical for success in the dance world. And because he's 1. very talented and 2. a boy, he's quite likely to get a scholarship of some kind. Anyway, it's something to think about if you haven't already.

I'll shut up and stop offering advice and opinions now. But I'll be happy to chime in with more if you've got questions... though I'm sure you, Kyle and his teachers are probably way ahead of the game on this one!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
In the Astaire/Kelly comparisons, I always had a preference for Kelly. Astaire's early stuff, where he's in the white tie and tails, was, IMHO, boring. I do love "Pick Yourself Up" from Swing Time, where he tries to look like a stumble-bum. But the elegant "Way You Look Tonight" stuff.... zzzzzzz...

Kelly was always leaping over things, feet a blur, sweating like a stevedore. Much more accessible. Roller skates. Jerry Mouse. Even the kids in "I Got Rhythm" (American in Paris).

Always preferred Kelly.

Of course, then there's "The Babbit and the Bromide" number, where they appeared together!!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Would you consider sending him to a summer intensive course in another year or two? There are some fantastic programs that would allow him to be completely immersed in the performing arts
Even better: Start saving for Julliard.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also have to say that I think it's great that you are so supportive of his love of dance. A disappointing number of parents of boys seem to think that dance - especially ballet - is "girly" or otherwise inappropriate for their sons, no matter how talented. Personally, I can't think of anything that is demands more athleticism of men than ballet, no sport I can think of requires the same combination of strength, precision, and artistry. None.

Anyway, I think his teacher sounds like she's quite good. Where are you based? Would you consider sending him to a summer intensive course in another year or two? There are some fantastic programs that would allow him to be completely immersed in the performing arts for 6 weeks or so, and would really give him a taste for what that life will demand if he wants it. They're also a great opportunity to meet other talented kids and see how one holds up in a more elite, competitive environment, as well as a chance to be noticed by teachers and choreographers from professional companies - critical for success in the dance world. And because he's 1. very talented and 2. a boy, he's quite likely to get a scholarship of some kind. Anyway, it's something to think about if you haven't already.

I'll shut up and stop offering advice and opinions now. But I'll be happy to chime in with more if you've got questions... though I'm sure you, Kyle and his teachers are probably way ahead of the game on this one!
Chime in all you want! I really appreciate all this! A summer program would be so awesome and something I would totally do for him! I know nothing about any programs offered anywhere so I'd love any knowledge you could offer about this! We live in Rapid City, South Dakota, so we are in the middle of farm country and there isnt a lot locally other than summer line dancing lessons. LOL.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts