Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..I have a large red one for Dakota..I bought some of that Kong peanut butter stuffing..put some inside..and it's still there..Dakota can't lick inside of it..or is that the wrong way to use it?? I'm confused..he licks and licks..but the stuff is still inside it. Am I doing it the wrong way?
Jackie

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Nope you are doing it right, that is the purpose of the Kong, to give them something to do for hours and to give you a break.

I usually fill mine up with hotdogs, strips of bread, and other treats, pack it tight, smear some peanut butter on the large hole and freeze it for a few hours.

Keeps them off my back for at least an hour.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Yep, agree with Hunter above too, you're doing it right.
It took Bailey a little bit to get used to it. I sometimes freeze it & sometimes don't. Stuffed with applesauce/yogurt, treats, food, etc... and finished with peanut butter. (She gets it in her kennel when we leave.)
The first few times Bailey tried it there was stuff left in it when I came home at lunch, but now there's usually not a drop left.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sometimes a little bit peanut butter or that kong stuff gets stuck in the very top of Mar's kong too - he can't get it then he just leaves it. It comes off in the dishwasher...

How much is your pup leaving in there?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well..I put a good squirt in there..to get his interest..it seemed that at least half or more had worked to the top..so I took it to the sink, slammed it down a few times..and it dropped a little..I think he got more..haven't checked yet..we were out for a few hours today. I think I will try stuffing it with other things..plus a little of the "squirt" stuff..I think he might like that more..
Jackie

MarlansMum said:
Sometimes a little bit peanut butter or that kong stuff gets stuck in the very top of Mar's kong too - he can't get it then he just leaves it. It comes off in the dishwasher...

How much is your pup leaving in there?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok..thanks..I think I need to stuff udder stuff in there too..it was my first time with the pb in it..usually I do the biscuit wedged in..and he knocks it into the kong and there it stays till I get it out..LOL
Thanks for letting me know I'm doing it right!!! :)
Jackie
Hunter said:
Nope you are doing it right, that is the purpose of the Kong, to give them something to do for hours and to give you a break.

I usually fill mine up with hotdogs, strips of bread, and other treats, pack it tight, smear some peanut butter on the large hole and freeze it for a few hours.

Keeps them off my back for at least an hour.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GOOD!!! LOL..I kinda figured..that was right..but with the tiny hole..I couldn't figure out how he'd get it out..now I understand..frustrate the poop outta him..work it baby work it..LOL
Jackie ;)

Bailey24 said:
Yep, agree with Hunter above too, you're doing it right.
It took Bailey a little bit to get used to it. I sometimes freeze it & sometimes don't. Stuffed with applesauce/yogurt, treats, food, etc... and finished with peanut butter. (She gets it in her kennel when we leave.)
The first few times Bailey tried it there was stuff left in it when I came home at lunch, but now there's usually not a drop left.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
No need to buy the "special" kong fillings...they're rather expensive. Most of us use regular peanut butter ...of course w/real peanut butter, you need to put way less because of the calories.

Fruits/veges are great...

G

·
I had the red one that was shaped like a bone before, and Murphy didnt care for it much. He would eat whatever was sticking out, and leave the rest. Then I got on of the black ones, with just the one big hole in the middle, and filled it with yogurt and froze it and he was all over it until it was gone. I put peanut butter, and other treats in the red one and he didnt seem to care. I am not sure why not, its the stuff inside that is good, but I dont know. You might try a different kong.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I usually fill Henery's with a mixture of mashed banana, applesauce (unsweetened) and yogurt, and whatever bits of fruit I have around, and seal both ends with a dab of PB. This weeks Kong flavour is banana-mango-strawberry yogurt. :)

Sometimes I'll do a veg Kong for him, mashed up squash, steamed greenbeans, but not often.

Either way, I freeze his Kongs... takes him longer to lick out the inside!

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I don't think there's a "wrong" way to do Kongs, but like others, I layer the ingredients in Sundance's so he's got a lot of stuff to work through. I plug both ends with a small amount of wet food and fill with greenbeans, carrots, lowfat cottage cheese, and random pieces of kibble, then freeze. It keeps him busy for an hour, and he's exhausted when done. :D

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
zoesmom said:
No need to buy the "special" kong fillings...they're rather expensive. Most of us use regular peanut butter ...of course w/real peanut butter, you need to put way less because of the calories.

Fruits/veges are great...
I agree, Sammi doesnt know the differance between regular peanut and the special kong stuff ;)- I also add green beans, some kibbles, sometimes fruit, just a variety - Good luck, I know eventually your pup will "get it" :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some dogs just don't like Kongs. My parents dog hates them and just lets it sit there with the peanut butter inside of it. lol

I just use regular peanut butter for them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts