Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.. all three vets have responded.

Emerg Vet: Is of the opinion that she needs to get re-evaluated ASAP. Spoke to doctor in Toronto who thinks the TPLO should have been done and whoever didn't do it, made a grave mistake. Also said current arthritis is NOT a factor when doing TPLO.

Surgeon: Said it's probably a seroma with some synovial fluid. Is normal, not something to worry about and can take 8 weeks to completely heal. He'd be happy to see me again, but given our distance, suggests continuing forward with the confined space, cone and stitches out on Thursday. He was pretty upset about emerg vet giving him opinion so freely w/o knowing the case at hand.. said he saw the damage in her knee and made the judgement call.. also pointed out this is not his first surgery and he knows what he's doing.

Family Vet: Tends to agree with surgeon.. points out a lot of people push TPLO because of how expensive it is, and in some cases, isn't the best surgery for a dog. Both surgeries have been successful for labs (she has two of them) and would much rather i wait and see than run off with her and open her up again for a surgery she may not need. At least it's too early to tell right now.

So.. that's what i'm going to do.. i have such a sick feeling in my stomach.. i just don't know what to believe.. i have two vets that say wait, it's probably perfectly normal.. but i can't help worry that if they're wrong.. well..

Anyway.. koda's coming off the pain meds so i can get a better feel for her pain level.. and that's all i can do right now.

God, i hope i'm doing the right thing.

I mean.. how do you know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,812 Posts
What a situation to be in. I pray that the surgeon and your vet are right. Maybe by Thursday you'll be able to tell more. Hope Koda won't be in too much pain. Just enough to slow her down some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,693 Posts
It's like parenting Kel - you don't know, but as pain meds wear off you'll get a feel for where she is. I'd say go ahead and wait a bit, and if she seems to be getting better little by little, don't panic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,418 Posts
you don't know, kel. you just have to go with your best instincts given the info you have. i don't particularly trust e-vets(money grubbing shysters, most of them i've met.) you have the same opinion from the surgeon who actually did the surgery and your family vet. i think you are correct to go with those two assessments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,548 Posts
Darby had the TPLO and ended up with fluid under the skin too. Sometimes you don't know what to do and whether you made the right choice.

Hang in there and crate her for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,122 Posts
Kel, the surgeon and the family vet know Koda and they know the exact situation. The emergency vet does not. I know it's hard because you have that "what if" in your head, but I would definitely go with what the surgeon and family vet say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
I can only imagine how confusing this is.
If it was me, based on what you have shared I would go with the majority and wait and see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,548 Posts
I know I would feel sick too, but I would do the same thing. I'd wait and see. The surgeon was actually in there and your family vet backs him up. For now, I'd wait rather than putting her through something she may not need.

We never know. We just have to take the information we have and hope.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Kelli, I totally think you are doing exactly the right thing by taking a wait and see approach. I agree with what others have said, the surgeon and family vet know the case MUCH better than the emerg vet, and they agree. I would trust their opinion.

I'm sorry that you and Koda have to go through all of this. Someday soon she will be good as new, and you and she and Tucker will be a normal, functional 10-legged family!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
I gotta agree with the Surgeon and family vet here too Kelli. I know it must be agonizing taking a wait and see attitude with her. Good thoughts for your girl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True.. so i guess i'll make my decision, move forward and do the best i can.. it's not like i have any choice otherwise right now.. but man is that leg scary looking, eh? Obviously it freaked the emerg vet out too.. so i don't feel so ad..

I got an email from a JLer.. i think she'd prefer to remain anonymous, so i'll blank out any names.. but it was the first indication i had that /maybe/ just maybe the emerg vet is a bit off hte mark here.. and since it may help others.. i hope she doesn't mind me posting an exerpt.. it was a big comfort to know this could be normal...

My dog had a pocket of fluid just like that. JUST like it. I called the ortho vet in a panic and they got the Dr. to call me back. He asked me to describe it and measure it etc, and after I answered all his questioned he said it's quite normal for this to happen and I should do the warm compresses. If the pocket got so tight that stitches started popping, he asked me to call, let the receptionist know that I was on my way in, and he would fit her into his schedule, examine her knee to see how the recovery was going and drain some of the fluid. It happened to both knees - a huge pocket of fluid. It looks bad I know, but both times it happened, big pocket of fluid all around the incision.

I remember one thing he said. IF the fluid started to accumulate at her ankle, that was a sign of a potential problem. But this kind of fluid build up was not - not as long as it was right around the incision site, and the stitches were holding.

I hope some of this helps - just wanted to let you know that my dog had fluid JUST like that. I remember how stressed I was at times during my dog's recovery - I feel for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,472 Posts
I agree with Jinx's statement.

The EGY vet was unethical in what s/he said. S/he only had the later symptoms to go on (and a TPLO $$$$ bias?). If I were the surgeon, I'd file an ethics complaint to the vetmed board.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,362 Posts
I have no experience with this, but I hate that the emergency vet got you so upset. Whichever surgery was/is right for Koda will be determined in its own time. Right now all you can do is take care of your baby girl and make her as comfortable as you can.

{{{HUGS}}}
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with Jinx's statement.

The EGY vet was unethical in what s/he said. S/he only had the later symptoms to go on (and a TPLO $$$$ bias?). If I were the surgeon, I'd file an ethics complaint to the vetmed board.

Ironically in his bio on his website.. this is here.."He presently is a member of the CVO Discipline Committee. "

Now, this isn't to say he's bad.. i think he's just pasisonate about labs.. people with strong opinions tend to be steadfast in that.. he really seemed to care about Koda and her well-being.. i just think he was quick to jump the gun w/o talking to the surgeon.

Even the family vet was surprised.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,137 Posts
I think you're doing the right thing and most importantly - the very best you can with what you've been dealt.
I know it's hard, but try not to doubt yourself so much in this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Kelli, I would do the same thing you are doing. Wait and see how things are developing. Good thoughts for you and Koda.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,485 Posts
warm compresses girlfriend...bonding time...you and da girl!! :) we are still here if for whatever you need be it now or 8 weeks from now. big hug!!
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top