Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw my 2 neices yesterday that live in VA and found out that they both knit and love it! Gracie is 9 and Michaila is 12. They showed me all kinds of cool stuff they've knitted - hats, webkins stuff like a backpack, a cellphone, Michaila did a beautiful pillow with a fried egg on it. :D

I was so happy to find this out because I never know what to buy these 2, since we don't see them very often. So I want to know, is there a good site I can go to, to buy knitting stuff for them? Like kits maybe, that come with everything they need to do the project. Oh, and if it makes a difference, they are a 100% organic family.
:)

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Knitpicks.com

There are kits and lots of reasonably priced yarn.

Gift cards are also nice cause then they can pick out what they "need."

Or you could ask them if there is a project that is upcoming that needs a particular kind of yarn (some yarn can be way more expensive) or needle sizes that they might need (i.e. don't already own a particular size/length)

If you want to buy them really pretty "special" yarn I have a ton of sites I could point you to.

If you are looking for cheaper yarn and supplies... google Peaches & Cream, Red Heart, and Lion brand (these should also be available in your local Micheal's crafts, walmart, joAnn's... etc.)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping you would see this, Linds. :)
If you want to buy them really pretty "special" yarn I have a ton of sites I could point you to.
Yes, please!!

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Well... my favorite at the moment is

TheLoopyEwe.com

So many beautiful yarns. But they come in all sorts of weights (lace, fingering, worsted (most common), bulky, etc.)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty!!

I found something I like for them on Knitpicks, but it says :
You will need US 3 (3.25 mm) 32” or longer circulars and DPNs and fiberfill.
What's the difference between a fixed circular and an interchangable circular? WTF is DPN? :)

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
DPN... double pointed needles (set of 5 or 6 needles with points on both ends of the needle)
Fixed circular.... example: size 8 needle, 24" long cable... or... size 5 needle, 32" long cable.
Interchangable... you can purchase several size needles and a few cables and interchange them... (usually you screw the size needle you want on the size cable you want). Obviously much more versatile and cost effective in the long run. I have my eye on them but right now I just have a few fixed circulars.

So for that quote you gave... they will need the size 3 circular (with 32" or longer cable) AND size 3 DPN.

Can you check with their mom and get an inventory of the needles they already own?

Also... needles come in different materials. My DPNs are wood (but they do have metal as an option)... my circulars are all metal (can hold up better than wood... wood tends to bend and stuff)... I think the metal ones are worth the extra cost especially since you would use them again.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
DPNs are used mostly for knitting "in the round" (a circle) especially smaller diameters (think baby sweater sleeves).

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I can't see your cart.

And yes... knitpicks wood needles are lot better quality than the ones you get at the craft stores. (I should have specified)

And I've seen the pattern you are talking about (so I have an idea of what you put in your cart).... very cute!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess it's a private cart. LOL

I got the Gurumi Family Kit, with 2 Harmony Wood Circular Needles
Size: 3 (3.25mm) (32") and two Bamboo Double Pointed Needles
Size: 3 (3.25mm) (7").

Right?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will, Linds. Thanks for your help! :)

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Oh... and Amy... not sure if your nieces are allowed online (perhaps the older one?) but ravelry.com (which requires you to sign up in order to log in) has bazillions of knitting patterns, projects, tools (like a "stash" to store all your yarn/needle/project information). Most of the site is free (a small portion of the patterns are not free and have links to where you can buy the pattern, or tell you what book they are in) and relatively "safe" from internet spam and other bad stuff (especially since it requires you to go through a 24 hr registration process to get access). Anyways... there are groups they can join (like knitting for kids) etc. to get ideas... share projects.

Just one note... there is a section of "naughty" knitting patterns but nothing terribly explicit (and those are not shown on real models... well maybe the bra is but not the underwear etc.).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts