Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got home this afternoon, I went to the bedroom and was immediately assaulted with a most upleasant smell. Finally, after much searching, I found a rather large wet spot on the bed. In the direct center of the wet spot was a rusty colored splotch probably about the size of a half dollar. Smell tested :-X, and found the culprit. The spot actually soaked through the comforter, through the sheets and onto the mattress!! I suspect the surrounding wetness was from one of them trying to clean up the mess??

I have "checked" both the boys out. Neither of them seem to be amiss. But, I am really not sure what I should be looking for.

Most worrisome to me is the fact that the spot was rusty/red in color. Does anal gland "juice" *gag* have a color? Is it normal for a dog's glands to express themselves without eliminating?

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Yeppers; sounds like my Dutchboy.....I have found the same and the smell is horrible to say the least. I know it was Dutch because it's where he curls up ... by the time I found it, it had dried ... but still!! blechhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a suspect in mind too, Sandy. I wonder if has anything to do with being a sweet yellow boy?? ;)

Ya think allergies could have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trickster said:
Hmm...are their poops normal? they might need to have them expressed.
As of yesterday afternoon, everything looked pretty good in that department.

However, I wasn't around to observe this morning's "efforts." ;)

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
LOL; yeh, it's my two yellow boys that seem to leave those behind. It's a rank fishy smell sort of, right?
My guys' poops are always fine, too. Doesn't happen that often, but when it does it will run you from a room. Why do they always leave it on the bed? LOL

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Ummm, yeah, the other morning we woke up to a similar (but larger) dark brown spot on the top of our flat sheet (right next to our faces). It was like 3" across. Yuck! I know it was Sam because he comes and lays between us in the morning. Don't know how he got his butt end that high, but he did. Luckily, it doesn't happen very often (or that close to the face). His poops have been normal.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes, unfortunately, Zora has had the same. Same color, yucky smell, took her out and did some expressing and that was what it was. Enjoy! ;)

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
So they have allergies then? anal gland problems can be connected to allergies.

For now I would pass it on as a one off. Keep on poop watch...make sure everything is functioning "down there".

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
My parents' labby, Maverick, has severe anal gland issues and allergy issues. He had to have them expressed every week and would still scoot around. He ended up being switched to Eukanuba Low-Residue food (which helped a ton) and eventually having his anal glands removed...I hope your doggy's allergies/anal glands aren't as bad as Maverick's!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
The wetness was probably more related to the licking in trying to get them to express than the attempt to clean up afterwards.

Yes allergies can cause anal gland issues. Murray has allergies and has always had to have his AG expressed every 5 weeks like clockwork. I had him allergy tested in July and started him on allergy injections. Since we have started this regimen, he hasn't needed his AG expressed again.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Yep that would be the fatal anal gland discharge. Nothing in the world like it!! :eek: One good sniff and you about die!! I got it, we can have all our dogs glands expressed, put into a bomb and drop it on Iraq. Hmmmmmmm :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
My sister used to have a cat that would let her's "fly" everytime she saw me. Seriously, I don't know why...cuz this cat loved me. I used to take care of it as a kitten when they would go away. Whenever I showed up at their house, she would come running out, jump up on my shoulders and let it go - ewwwwwwww! I had to throw out a leather coat because I couldn't get the smell out.

Man, that cat was whacked. RIP little Reggie. (....thank god...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The wetness was probably more related to the licking in trying to get them to express than the attempt to clean up afterwards.

Yes allergies can cause anal gland issues. Murray has allergies and has always had to have his AG expressed every 5 weeks like clockwork. I had him allergy tested in July and started him on allergy injections. Since we have started this regimen, he hasn't needed his AG expressed again.
Can they just develop this? My Groot is pit lab mix, rescued when he was a few weeks old on top of Cheaha mountain. He is now almost 4 and never shown signs of this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts