Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know I tend to blow things out of proportion so I am really not sure what to do.

I just got back from takingh the boys out to the college and letting them run and play fetch. Out of one of the doors comes one of our security guards. He has seen us out there before, even played with Tal and Barney. There was a big evergreen I saw him go behind and Barney was chasing after and the here goes Tal. I didn't say anything because they both had played with this guy. He was in uniform, which he has worn when playing with them before.

Anyway, he said barney nipped at him and I thought I saw the guy start to kick at Barney, but again, it was behind the tree so I really didn't get a good look and wasn't for certain. I called Tal and Barney to me and they came. When the guard came up he told me Barney was nipping at him and tried to bite him. Of course, I apologized and said he has never done anything like that before, which he hasn't. He said it's ok, he just knew how much I enjoyed bringing them out there and how much they enjoyed playing out there.

Since I didn't see the whole incident, I am not sure what to do. When the guard came over, Barney was ok and never tried anything else and didn't seem apprehansive or afraid of him. So I am not sure what to do. When the man walked off, Barney wanted to follow him, but when I called his (Barney's) name, he stayed just like I would expect.

Barney has never been quite as friendly as Tal, but neither has he ever been or shown any tendency to be people aggressive. So I am not sure what to do, but if there is something going on I want to nip it in the bud. Any advice is welcomed! I don't want to be in a situation where I have to keep constant watch or wonder if he will bite someone!

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Hmm.. Well I would want to know what's going on, as well. But maybe he was just kind of kneeing him off, not kicking him? Who knows, you weren't right there so maybe the guy accidentally did something to get Barney all riled up..

Just hoping Barney's okay and it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah he is fine...Barney is just a year old (on 24 January). I can't help but wonder if there was something inadvertant that got Barney riled up. He has never ever shown any inclination to do something like that...He has been a bit shy, but comes around when he sees they are ok. He has gone up to folks and barked, but then acted like he wanted to play. I mean to complete strangers.

I wondered if he thought he was being protective of me, perhaps? I've never given either of them any reason to think that way.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Since you did not see the incident I would not panic. I wonder if the guy going behind the tree made Barney curious & could he have been playing? Could it have scared him or maybe he felt threatened. Who knows what the guy did. I know you are probably concerned because the guy said Barney tried to bit him but if you did not witness it......I would just watch him around that guy.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
It's very probable that a young lab might "nip" someone in play - what we would call "mouthing" - even though this guy was a security guard, he might not be comfortable with or know dogs very well. You can be careful and watch for further suggestions of aggression, but I just have a feeling that nothing really happened.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
It's very probable that a young lab might "nip" someone in play - what we would call "mouthing" - even though this guy was a security guard, he might not be comfortable with or know dogs very well. You can be careful and watch for further suggestions of aggression, but I just have a feeling that nothing really happened.
This is what I was thinking too. Even Jefferson (6 year old) can get mouthy/nippy when he is very very excited.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Barney might have tried to jump up on him to say hello and the guard might have kneed him gently in the chest so his uniform wouldn't get paw prints on it?

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks..if I had seen any hint of aggression at any time prior to this incident, it wouldn't have freaked me out as much. Like I mentioned before, he is a little on the shy side, but he has never shown any inclination to nip at someone like the fellow said he did. I wish I could have seen the whole incident so I would know for sure.

In the meantime, There are a couple of other places I can take them, at least for awhile.

I am also going to see about enrolling Barney in training class. I wanted to do that last fall, but with his recurrent dirrahea, (whipworms), Tal's heartworms, Midnight's teeth extractions, plus some home stuff, I had my hands full! Probably time to look into that now.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I'm going to play the conspiracy theorist here & suggest that MAYBE nothing happened at all? The fact that this "incident" happened behind a tree out of your sight makes it his word against yours.

MAYBE
this is the start of some bigger agenda he's got IE: brewing up a lawsuit? MAYBE next time there might be a similar "incident" in which you can't prove the dog didn't do anything but he's slowly building a case against you? MAYBE he earns crap money & wants to make some more? MAYBE he's in debt up to his ears & is looking for a quick way out? IE: sue someone - in this case, that could be YOU.

If I were you, I'd find somewhere else to run the dogs just in case. MAYBE I'm wrong about all of this but you never know. ;)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I agree, maybe Barney was trying to play and the guard doesn't understand and was kicking at him to get him away. In future, I would not trust that guard and not let either of the boys near him out of your sight, just to be safe.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
How well do you know this guy? I kind of had the same thought as Garth. Was he lying? I don't know why I think that, just a little distrustful. Especially if Barney was all happy, playful afterward. If anything, I think he was playing and the guy misunderstood.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Ever the cynical New Yorker at heart, I had the same thought as Garth and Joflake. Just out of sight seems awfully convenient.

Hopefully not, but I'd take them elsewhere for a while, Guy.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Other than seeing the guard around here, and him playing with the boys before, I really don't know him outside of that context. I was thinking last night about other, very recent (within the last couple of weeks) where barney has come in contact with other folks. Aside from going to them, barking a bark, and then wanting to play, he has shown absolutely no tendency like this ever. I think there must have been something I didn't see that triggered it.

But still, I am going to take them elsewhere to run and play around. No reason to try and invite trouble when none exists, really.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Ever the cynical New Yorker at heart, I had the same thought as Garth and Joflake. Just out of sight seems awfully convenient.
Me, too. And why was the guy going behind a tree? Weird. If I were you, I'd forget about it and go somewhere else from now on. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts