Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I may have mentioned, I have 7 yo twins; Alexander (not Alex, he'll tell you that) and Olivia. Yesterday we went to a local attraction called Fantasy of Flight, which is basically the world's largest privately owned aircraft collection. It's about ten miles from our house and if you know central Florida at all, the entire area within 100 miles of Orlando is filled with these kind of places. There's Don Garlit's museum of drag racing, the water skiing museum, the Holy Land theme park, etc... It goes on and on.

We enjoy visiting this one though, and even at seven, Alexander can tell you which plane is a P-51 Mustang, P-38 Lightning, Lockheed Constellation, GeeBee, etc. He is an aviation nut, very much like his dad, though he has his heart set on being a fireman when he grows up. So at the end of the day, my wife bought him a little momento of the trip; a baseball cap with his favorite plane, the P-51 Mustang on it. He proudly wore that cap the rest of the day and today. Every where he's gone, he's been 'in charge' and full of authority, with his new baseball cap on his head. So it should have come as no surprise when moving some furniture on this hot Florida, July day, Olivia suggested 'Maybe I should go in the attic to check out the air conditioning.' They both love the attic for some odd reason. To which Alexander replied: 'No, I should do it.'

'Why?' Olivia asked.

Alexander stood up tall, looked straight at her and deadpanned

'Because I'm wearing the hat' :)

Kevin

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is too cute! Where are the pics of the kids - and Alexander with his cap??

NEVER, and I repeat NEVER ask a parent of twins to show you pictures. You risk losing a whole day of your life looking at them... :D

Ask and ye shall receive...

Kevin

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Cute story and adorable kids! My youngest wants to be a fireman too. :). My oldest wants to be an Air Force pilot and then President. He's already decided on Air Force Academy for college too. He decided all of that at 3, and he's 8 now and still says it...

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
LOL I love it! Alexander sounds like a combo of both our boys. The oldest one is a volunteer fire fighter, and is awaiting his dis-charge papers from the Air Force where he was a fire fighter with the Air National Guard. Our youngest is an Aircraft Structural Mechanic in the Air Force. Right now he's stationed out at Nellis (in Las Vegas). He works on the F22 Raptor.

Aaww, Kevin the kids are adorable!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Olivia wants to be an astronaut. Then she wants to be a veterinarian after she goes to mars...:)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Kevin, your twins are adorable and what a great story!! Alexander sounds like quite the character!! I think I told you...we have twins, too. Michael turned 23 on Saturday and Jared turned 23 on Sunday. :D

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yup, 11:57 pm and 12:26 am. :D Are yours identical or fraternal? Tell Alexander to try and keep his eyes open when someone is taking a picture. LOL

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Someone, who shall remain nameless - ;), pm'd me that it's impossible for them to be identical since one is a girl and one is a boy. So for the record for those who don't know, fraternal twins happen when 2 different eggs are fertalized. Identical twins happen when 1 egg splits in two. Can be boys or girls or any combo thereof. :)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Someone, who shall remain nameless - ;), pm'd me that it's impossible for them to be identical since one is a girl and one is a boy. So for the record for those who don't know, fraternal twins happen when 2 different eggs are fertalized. Identical twins happen when 1 egg splits in two. Can be boys or girls or any combo thereof. :)
Extremely rare - less than 10 documented cases and the female actually has a chromosomal disorder for it to occur. It is impossible in completely healthy twins. http://multiples.about.com/od/funfacts/a/boygirlident.htm

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
They're boy/girl, so I think identical is pretty much out... ;) I've never heard that identicals can be opposite sex. They're from the same cells, so I don't think it's possible.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Glad your son is diggin' his hat. =) Mine has always loved planes too. He's always full of facts after the NASCAR flyover.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Shot down again. I seriously never knew that, I've always heard they can be boy/girl.

Oh well.
*shrugs*

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well if you're ever in central Florida, I highly recommend Fantasy of Flight, then go down the road to the Sun-N-Fun museum. Sun-N-Fun is the second largest fly-in in the US (after Oshkosh) and for the week it happens, Lakeland's airport becomes the busiest airport in the entire world.

Here are a couple of Links:

Fantasy of Flight

Sun-n-Fun

1 - 17 of 17 Posts