Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Countdown to first ticket in 3...2...1...

I don't care how much money you have, I just would never give a teenager a car like that. It's just too much car for a kid with a 16 year old's lack of judgment and experience.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
My cousin got a brand new firebird for her 16th bday (she is 28 or 29 now, so a few years ago). Within 2 weeks she totaled it. I think kids ought to have a beater for at least a couple years...builds character!

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I got a 1977 chevy short box with the 350 motor. It was beaten, had to replace the door, tires, fuel pump, manifold gaskets etc, etc, Bondo the patches, throw a paint job on it at a friends house, (the trees had overspray on them for a long time.....of course we painted it outside)

Now that's a first car. Bought and paid for with my money. circa 1983.

that 2010 camaro.....sigh.......what's the kid going to get for his 18th birthday........how is he going to learn to appreciate things if he starts so high on the scale.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
that 2010 camaro.....sigh.......what's the kid going to get for his 18th birthday........how is he going to learn to appreciate things if he starts so high on the scale.
^that^

I bought all my cars...no help whatsoever and I am proud to type that! :)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I think kids ought to have a beater for at least a couple years...builds character!
My first car was a 1979 Chevy Chevette (I could take myself and 3 really small friends where ever we wanted to go). My 2nd was a 1979 Monte Carlo (I could take myself and 47 friends where ever we wanted go). I had some pretty sweet rides and built lots of character. :rockon:

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
I had a friend in high school who had a Trans Am sitting in her driveway waiting for her when she turned 16. One month to the day of her birthday she wrecked the car injuring for life one of the kids with her (thank goodness I missed that trip). Car was totaled. Daddy went out and bought her a new one.
Today she is married to a guy daddy sat up in business (they own a couple of huddle houses). Husband cheats on her, her kids are all on drugs..... but she drive a Mercedes.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Countdown to first ticket in 3...2...1...

I don't care how much money you have, I just would never give a teenager a car like that. It's just too much car for a kid with a 16 year old's lack of judgment and experience.
Yep. I would be more worried about him hurting himself or someone else. That is a lot of horsepower for a new driver.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I had a friend in high school who had a Trans Am sitting in her driveway waiting for her when she turned 16. One month to the day of her birthday she wrecked the car injuring for life one of the kids with her (thank goodness I missed that trip). Car was totaled. Daddy went out and bought her a new one.
Today she is married to a guy daddy sat up in business (they own a couple of huddle houses). Husband cheats on her, her kids are all on drugs..... but she drive a Mercedes.
At least she knows what really matters in life... the type of car you drive.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, North America needs to start requiring a graduated licensing program that mandates learners start on small displacement automobiles and motorcycles. Too many accidents as a result of too much vehicle for too little driving experience. Also, start educating the public that driving is not a right but a privilege that can be taken away.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
stupid, stupid, stupid. he will be lucky if a ticket is the worst he gets. my mom worked with a guy that gave his son a corvette for his 16th birthday. the son wrapped it around a tree speeding to school and killed himself.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
stupid, stupid, stupid. he will be lucky if a ticket is the worst he gets. my mom worked with a guy that gave his son a corvette for his 16th birthday. the son wrapped it around a tree speeding to school and killed himself.

That's always sad, but what's sadder is when they take out an innocent bystander with them.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I convinced my parents to let me get a Camaro when I was 16. Granted, it wasn't brand new (I think it was 6 years old), and it wasn't an SS (I think it was a plain old V6), and I paid for half of it. I never had a wreck, and the first ticket I ever got was about 2 years ago driving a GMC Sierra. I was never a wild-child though, so I don't think my parents were ever too worried.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts