Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever been or plan to watch it?

I have lived in Louisville for 8 years I think and have never been but it's such a big deal I wondered if others have been.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I've never been to the Derby but watch it on TV every year.

I'm kind of in the same boat with the Indy 500. I've only been once and that was when I didn't even live here! This year I think I want to go to some of the festivities leading up to it, if not the actual race. (Indy 500 events will start this weekend, culminating with the race Memorial Day weekend.) There's a LOT going on. I think it's time I partcipated!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I watch every year on TV, we drink mint juleps and make our own bets. But after the last few years of horses being injured, it's losing it's appeal for me.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I'm anti-horse racing on ethical grounds. I'm also anti-three hours of experts talking about what might happen before actually showing an event that takes two minutes.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never been to the Derby but watch it on TV every year.

I'm kind of in the same boat with the Indy 500. I've only been once and that was when I didn't even live here! This year I think I want to go to some of the festivities leading up to it, if not the actual race. (Indy 500 events will start this weekend, culminating with the race Memorial Day weekend.) There's a LOT going on. I think it's time I partcipated!
It's the same way with the Derby the festivities start with Thunder over Louisville two week before and they have hot air balloon races, a mini marathon, a parade, steam boat races, chow wagon, concerts, you name it the two week leading up to the main race. Oaks day is Friday which has also become a pretty big race with the fillies for the lillies. I honestly doubt we'll actually ever go to the derby we've been to Thunder a few times but it's SOOOOO crowded and traffic is just terrible it makes the event less appealing. We normally watch the main race on TV though.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I was there in 1978, when Affirmed beat Alydar by a neck.

You see a lot more on TV.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I am a huge fireworks fanatic. Ive been to the worlds fireworks championship that lasts a week in Montreal. But Thunder is on my to do list. Ive been wanting to go to it for years and years.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I've always wanted to go to the Derby. I'd love to do it up right with the big hat and flowery dress and all.

I do watch it every year and have since I was a very little girl.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I went to it the year after I graduated from college. We were still in college-mode so we were in the infield, partying. You don't do any dressing up there; it was just a fun occasion.

In the infield, you can't see the races although you can hear the horses gallop by. You can get to the betting stands and I think I won on a couple of races.

I'd love to be in the stands for the races now that I'm older.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I got a call from some lady last night wantin' to know if she could rent one of our ladies hats.:rolleyes:

Hello, retail store, we don't rent clothes, be as dumb as callin' Old Navy and seein' if you could rent a pair of jeans.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I got a call from some lady last night wantin' to know if she could rent one of our ladies hats.:rolleyes:

Hello, retail store, we don't rent clothes, be as dumb as callin' Old Navy and seein' if you could rent a pair of jeans.:rolleyes:
Just rent it to her for the retail price.

If she brings it back good for her. :)

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Just rent it to her for the retail price.

If she brings it back good for her. :)

Yeah right, when we told her the price of hats once she asked about buyin' she said she'd look for something cheaper. folks that dumb you really don't want to deal with them.

Kinda like the group of late tens this weekend, go get something, try it on with lots of gigglin', out comes the phone with the camera. Before they even got it loaded I explained we don't aloow pictures to be taken up here.

"Why?"

"Because folks want to just try them on and take pictures with out planning on buyin' anything.":D

95% of the time the look is priceless as they realize what they are doing. But they leave in a hurry.

Once in a while someone says they're sorry they didn't know they were working on a wedding or something. I then tell them to try on what ever and take all they want.:D

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Yeah the infield is for those under 25. lol
LOL Laura - I'm turning 25 on May 2 and I'll be in the infield reserved area!

My birthday is frequently on Derby Day - so John surprised me with plane tickets and a place to stay this year - I am SO excited I can't wait! :D

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Laurie - Thunder is something to see I've been 3x it's really an amazing show. If the traffic wasn't so bad we'd go every year but DH really hates big crowds so we haven't been in a few years.

Jess - Welcome to Louisville I hope you have a blast and stay relativley dry :) don't get too drunk ;)

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Anyone ever been or plan to watch it?

I have lived in Louisville for 8 years I think and have never been but it's such a big deal I wondered if others have been.
I've only lived here for 3, but I've lived in Kentucky my whole life. I've yet to see a Derby at Churchill. I've been to Churchill to see races, and we went to Keeneland a lot when I lived in Lexington, but I've never seen a live Derby.

I am a huge fireworks fanatic. Ive been to the worlds fireworks championship that lasts a week in Montreal. But Thunder is on my to do list. Ive been wanting to go to it for years and years.
Thunder is amazing. I went to my first Thunder this year. You can't find a better fireworks show on this side of the globe (I think for a few years, it was the biggest show in the world, now it's the biggest fireworks show in North America). I'm not even a huge fireworks fan, but I was awestruck. You honestly cannot describe it, you just have to see it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts