Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we bit the bullet and kennelled the furkids for an overnight this weekend as a dry run for when we go to France. We're going for two weeks and we just can't find anyone to watch them for that long. So we found this great, highly recommended place and booked it. This weekend was the trial overnight.

They did ok. When we dropped them off they didn't even look back or say goodbye...just trotted off with a total stranger. *rolls eyes* We picked them up the following morning and got a good report on them.

My only concern was when we got home. Remy peed for about 15 minutes. Then pooped. Then peed some more. Then took another poop. I fear he go so distracted by...well anything...that he didn't go when he was out in the run. They have a private run for each kennel and a door that opens to let them out. I'm sure he went during play time ... but I don't think he went after that. This worries me. I wonder if we should board them again for a few days before we go to make sure this isn't going to be an issue?

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
It might be a good idea to try it again. I'm wondering if he didn't realize that the run outside was for doing his business and held it. Poor baby. I wish I lived close, I'd watch them for you.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It might be a good idea to try it again. I'm wondering if he didn't realize that the run outside was for doing his business and held it. Poor baby. I wish I lived close, I'd watch them for you.
This is what I was thinking, too. Poor kid! Not sure if what I'd do in your situation, maybe make the boarding staff aware of it, and hope they can keep an eye on it?

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, they are going to be there for 16 days. I'm sure he'll go. I just don't want him to make himself uncomfortable or sick. If someone can just watch him in the run and tell him to go potty a couple of times he'll get it. But I don't know if he did this time.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
What is on the ground in the run? Bauer is weird about going potty on anything except grass. If the run is dirt or pebbles or something, I can see that being a problem. I would probably do another trial and see if they can encourage him to potty in the run. My mother in law lives on lake, and Bauer won't go in her backyard which is all rock, sand, and wood chips. We have to periodically take him to the front yard to make sure he goes.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'd bet that he was just too hyped up from the overnight stay. If he spent more time there, he'd get into a routine after a couple of days. The kennel staff should monitor how much he's going to the bathroom during his stay, and act accordingly if he hasn't gone after a while. (I know that's what we do at the kennel I work at). A lot of dogs, especially new boarders, take a couple of days to get used to going potty in the runs (and not getting so distracted that they don't go). I'm sure they'll both do fine while you're on vacation (no matter how hard it is to leave them for so long), and the kennel staff will give them lots of lovins while they're there. :)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Mine have been going to the same boarding kennel for years. They also have large ,individual outside runs, and my 2 usually stay in one of the larger runs together (if I have my act together and reserve it far enough in advance.) They do "go" there, but everytime I bring them home, no matter how long theyve been there, the first thing they do when they get home is have a large pee and poop. I'd just let the staff know your concerns and make sure that they give hin some extra time outside and that they know his "go potty" word so they can encourage him.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I would guess he was either so excited he "forgot" to go, or he didn't realize it was okay to go outside. I worked at a kennel that had the sliding doors that opened to the outside and we had to teach some dogs it was okay to potty out there. Some didn't understand they could go through the door, but once we tossed treats out a few times they would happily go in and out. I would just mention it to the staff, that you don't think he understands the going out the door, and they should be able to help him out :)

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Our first lab, Heidi had that problem; she wouldn't go anywhere but in her own yard. If you discuss this with the kennel personnel,you may find that they are familiar with this problem with other dogs. I too wish I lived closer. Would love to take care of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts