Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought like you, that the AKC required any dog siring 3 or more litters to be DNAed. I couldn't find a number on their website. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place, tho.

From the AKC's website (italics are mine):
DNA Requirements

AKC DNA Profiling is required for: Frequently Used Sires (dogs having the greatest impact on the AKC Stud Book); imported breeding stock; dogs whose semen is collected for fresh-extended or frozen use; and for the sires, dam and puppies for Multiple-Sired Litter Registration.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
What is the rationale behind intentionally using multiple sires? I knew of someone (a reputable breeder) who did this and never got to ask her why. Anyone?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Mulitple sires is sometimes used when you have a ***** who is going to have one last litter and you possibly want to use 2 sires still. Sometimes the sire planned doesn't have the best motility in the sperm, so you double up with a second sire, to ensure a litter. There are a number of reasons. It COSTS though. Not only do you have to DNA every puppy, and both sires need to be DNA'd, the AKC also charges an inflated penalty for registering a litter with multiple sires. I thought I heard $200!

I think some BYB's may DNA their males thinking it makes them look cool and reputable! HA HA

·
Registered
806 Posts
From the AKC site...
Effective for litters whelped on or after July 1, 2000, AKC DNA Profiling is required if a stud dog is classified as a Frequently Used Sire, meaning that he has produced seven or more litters in his lifetime or more than three litters in a calendar year.
As Jen said, there are a number of reasons one might use multiple sires but I would guess that with all the extra $$ and hassle involved the registration option is mostly used because of oopses.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am learning new stuff all the time. So it is possible that either the 15 month old lab sire was either from a multiple sired litter or perhaps was part of an oops breeding, or has been used as a sire more than 3 times in one year. Or they did it because they wanted the prestige.

alot of possibilities.

Thank you for the info.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
As per the website, he's expecting quite a few litters, Lord knows how many he already has on the ground.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the AKC site...

Quote:
Effective for litters whelped on or after July 1, 2000, AKC DNA Profiling is required if a stud dog is classified as a Frequently Used Sire, meaning that he has produced seven or more litters in his lifetime or more than three litters in a calendar year.
Aaa. Thank you! I knew I had read somewhere what the "litter number" was. Now I know I'm not losing my mind!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts