Just Labradors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see an update post (or I probably missed it). Is her knee still filled with fluid? Did you go for a 2nd opinion?

Kisses to her! :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Yeah.. her knee is pretty much the same..i finally remember the name of it.. it's apparently synovial fluid.

Now.. emerg vet had a hissy fit because he said the surgeon did somethiing to the joint capsule.. which caused this fluid.. i talked to the surgeon's office who said he did not, in fact move the joint capsule.. so that was just flat out wrong.

I emailed them the pics, i also emailed my vet the pics.. and spoke to the tech for half an hour because her lab had the same surgery as koda and was dispelling a lot of what the emerg vet said.

So i'm still waiting on some phone calls here.. but basically what i'm being told is this is probably normal.. apply a warm compress throughout the day and it should be fine.

We'll see.. i have an appt for her on Thursday anyways to remove the stitches so i'll get a better idea then.

the one thing that's coming to mind that was a bit of a weird thing with the emerg vet was when he said that not doing a TPLO because of too much arthritis is flat out bullshit.. but i've done a lot of research on this that actually confirms that as being true.. he said he'd never heard of such a thing.

so.. yeah.. still some conflicting support.. but we'll see what my vets and the surgeon has to say.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Oh.. and she will be getting the TPLO on the other leg, because it's not as arthritic as this one.. at least that was the original plan.. we'll re-assess which procedure is better in 3 months when she has it done.

I'm not getting the feeling that LRRO has any intentions of paying for her second surgery.. but i'm hoping they'll do me a favour and pay it up front so i can get their discount.. which is significant.

Dunno yet..

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The emergency vet sounds like a kook. Man, I hope and pray that it's all just normal for this type of surgery. It sounds like it is. Will they take the stitches out if there's still fluid? I wonder why they didn't put a drain in?

OK, well here's hoping! I'll look for an update.

:)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
They can't drain it.. if they do, it'll leave a pocket which will just fill up again.. today was her last shot of antibiotics and i was told to take her off the metacam (pain meds) as well..they think it's probably time Miss Thang started to feel some pain to help her understand she's injured.. plus the metacam can exacerbate fluid collection.. so no more of that.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Wow, what a rollercoaster you've been on! So, best case scenario, the emerg. vet is all wrong and Koda IS recovering! Sorry he put you through all this worry!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
That's the best case, yes.. but i still need to find out how that joint capsule is faring and is the synovial fluid an iindication of a bigger problem or normal?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts