Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH has one area where he wants to keep the dogs away from.
Lots of wild flowers, and plants he loves....its not a large area but so far we havent found anything to keep them from running through here. We tried a small picket fence...they trampled it.
Does anyone know of anything that is good for sectioning off an area, but not completely hiding it from view? the location makes it impossible to fence off with anything big...it wouldnt look right.
Looking for ANY kind of suggestions :-\

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Would DH be willing to raise the bed a bit and surround it with some pretty decorative planting stones? You know, the kind you get from Lowe's or a nursery? I think they're really attractive.

edited to add pic: Something like this but not raised as high?

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh Nance..you very well may be onto something here...What a GREAT idea....just RAISE the bed.

It is located at the bottom of the steps, as you walk off the deck...the pool to the right and the rest of the yard to the left. This is also the place the dogs use to potty, so they take the short cut and run right through it. and Aidan is part cow or something....he loves nibbling on the plants ::) Im going to ask him if raising it would work... I think it might...we could make it like an extension off the deck.
Maybe not for this year, but certainly something to think about for next.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I have raised beds and those didn't stop my boys from getting up into them. What did work was constant training. If they got into the planting beds, they were told "off". If they went near them, they got a"Uh-uh!". They are now quite good about staying off of them. Like anything with our pups, it comes down to teaching them what is and what is not acceptable. Keep consistent and they will learn that the flowers are off limits. :D

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
kaisdad said:
I have raised beds and those didn't stop my boys from getting up into them. What did work was constant training. If they got into the planting beds, they were told "off". If they went near them, they got a"Uh-uh!". They are now quite good about staying off of them. Like anything with our pups, it comes down to teaching them what is and what is not acceptable. Keep consistent and they will learn that the flowers are off limits. :D
I think I like this idea better!! It sounds a lot cheaper :p

Maybe I'll start practicing so if we make it to labfest Molly won't bother them either lol

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I made this to keep the dogs out of the bed, where I have shrubs that I would like not to get trampled. It doesn't keep them out entirely, but it slows them down.
It is open so I can still see the shrubs, it is about 3 ft tall and it was free to make.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Molly, very creative!

I was going to offer a ******* solution and say chicken wire :p But Nance's solution is much classier 8) :D

I tell you what I did to keep the dogs out of the garden...only garden in the front yard. ;)

Also, if Aidan is nibbling on plants, be sure that none of them are toxic. ASPCA has comprehensive lists of both toxic and non-toxic plants. Angus was a nibbler too, so I spend one weekend when he was young digging up everything questionable and moving it somewhere else. :-\

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
This 3' high wire fence works for me. (10' long sections from Lowes or most garden stores) It is not too noticeable if you get green, and very portable, easy to stick in and take out. You can even temporarily put it around a section of lawn being reseeded. Judy can jump over it with no problem, but after being scolded, she respects the boundary.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots of great idea...i like them all acutally, I'm going to show them to the gardener tonight. He was incredulous that I asked you guys what to do and that people cared enough to post answers lol. He doesn't get it. Thanks :)

Connie, another good idea- never thought about things being poisonous. I know the DH does know all that stuff but im still going to show him the list on that site. Bookmarked it. Ty

·
Registered
170 Posts
I did the same thing as azlab. We used the green one so it blends in. We've got the yard fenced so she can only go on the grass and brick patio. unfortunately she is ripping up the grass, and she digs any little dirt area she can find...little stinker! Everything else is off limits...fruit trees, roses, wild flowers, tomatoes...etc. Works great for us!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts