Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to let you all know what is going on with Katie.

She hasn't been herself for about a week or 2. Kind of mopey, slow, kind of down. My son came down for Easter with Phoenix (his german shepherd) and Katie didn't care they were here. This is her BEST BUDDY to wrestle with, play bitey face with and just play with. Katie just laid around with a look on her face that said "are they going home soon?" Then Katie started limping really bad on her front left leg. She wouldn't put any pressure on it. As she moved a little more she would get better and then be walking fine.

Well being the complete nut case I am with my baby, at 9 am yesterday I was on the phone with the vet to get her in. We got an appointment for 10:30.

His first question was what dog food was she eating? We are fine there, not on anything that has been recalled. When I started really describing her symptoms he had his suspicions. He did a blood test and sure enough...........................

Katie has a tick disease! How this happened when she in on frontline plus is not known. In the past 10 days we have found 6 ticks on Katie. Knowing this is tick season we check her religiously when she comes in. The vet said they are really really bad here. He asked if we had a lawn care service. Yes we do. He told me to call him and have something put down on the lawn to kill the ticks. The funny thing is, the first 3 ticks found under her arm pit was by our lawn guy a week ago Friday (3/30) when he was playing with her. He did mention that if we found more he could put this application on the lawn. We didn't find anymore until this past Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It is not cheap for the application, but for peace of mind was are putting it down today.

So Katie is on an antibiotic for the week, I take her back next Monday for another blood test to see if she needs another dose. The limping is a sign of the disease. He said not to be surprised if she switches legs she limps on. She is also dehydrated even though she is drinking tons.

Man this sucks.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Holy crap!! That is scary! I'm glad your vet caught it though, and I really hope Katie is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Hope the meds get her back to normal soon. What a great lawn guy to notice the tick and to let you know (besides just playing with Katie anyway!).

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
The limping is a sign of the disease. He said not to be surprised if she switches legs she limps on.
Yup, that happened with Sammy. I'm so glad you caught it and it's treatable!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Poor Girl.. get well soon Katie.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Oh Nancy...I just saw this. I hope Katie feels better soon. The antibiotics will help. That is a beautiful picture of Katie. Please give her a big hug from her friends in PA.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Just saw this, Nancy. I'm so sorry she's been feeling badly! One of Mom's girls had a tick disease a few years ago-while being on flea/tick meds, no less. The meds and some time took care of it, so try not to worry TOO much.

Once she feels better, we'll have to get the pups together to play. That should perk Katie up!!

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Awwwww - I'm sorry she's feeling poorly, but really glad you found out what is wrong quickly - she should back to her old cheerful self pretty soon.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I'm sorry to hear Katie isn't feeling well. I hope she feel better soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts