Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 year old was diagnosed with a cataract last year. They decided at that time to let her go because her "good" eye was compensating....

FF to this year and she flunked the eye exam in school. Back to Will's Eye and they said she definitely needed glasses now. The "good" eye was starting to wear out. So she got glasses...all is good.

Teacher just called to ask are Katie's glasses broken? being repaired?
Me: No...why?
Teacher: She has not worn them in school for about a month now
Me: Thank you for letting me know.
Teacher (who knows me): susan, please dont kill her
Me: Ill try not to

WHERE areeee the glasses? She goes off every morning with them on, I WATCH her get on the bus!
I am guessing they go immediately into the backpack and don't come back out until the bus ride home?
She's been pretty good at this scam...not messing up the logistics ONCE!
Im really surprised..thought she was ok with wearing them and she is sooooo not a sneaky child.

Going to get to the bottom of this one after school...

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Ruh Roh!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Bad girl, Katie! :angel:

So cataracts = no contacts?

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
EEK!

My son had to get glasses when he was 7. He HATED the idea, resisted it with a passion... until he put them on and realized "Holy crap! I can see!"

I know he still hates to wear them (when he found out he needed braces this year he said "why does the bad stuff always happen to me? first glasses and now this.) but I don't know that he'd think to stash them in his bookbag after he was safely away from home.

She's definitely a thinker! ;)

I think I'd go with the 'if you don't wear your glasses, your eyes will just get worse and then you'll have to wear REALLY thick ones to be able to see at all" scare tactic. :)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TangerineFizz said:
I would pop in for a surprise visit at school and bust her!!
omg....

DONE! I am going to recess duty today :laugh:

bye y'all...will update when I get home

T

·
0 Posts
I am sure someone picked on her for wearing them. I didnt wea my glasses until college. I was lucky and my mom put me in contacts quick.

Go easy on her. Let us know what you find out when you go to the school.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Sorry, but this makes me laugh. Back in the day when we all walked to school, my older sister would hide her glasses in a tree along the way. Then after school she would stop by and pick them up so mom and dad did not know. Of course I was to young to know better but my brother and other sister would use the fact as blackmail to get her to do stuff for them. ;D

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
As someone who had to start wearing glasses in the 7th grade, I bet she's getting teased.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
Bad girl, Katie! :angel:

So cataracts = no contacts?
I don't know if you can wear contacts with a cataract, but I would think 8 might be a little young for contacts anyway. Obviously each kid would be different, but I know my 9-year-old isn't ready for them.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Riley was worried that kids would make fun of him (he was in 1st grade when he got his) but no one did.

I don't think kids really do that anymore, do they?

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I probably would have done the same as Katie at her age. I didn't wear glasses but I would have hated it if I did..
pretty smart kid fooling everyone all this time.

don't get too mad...

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I bet someone said something to her if she used to wear them and stopped. I hope you get to the bottom of it. I got my glasses in 3rd grade I did get picked on some.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
bacatherine said:
I bet someone said something to her if she used to wear them and stopped. I hope you get to the bottom of it. I got my glasses in 3rd grade I did get picked on some.
I'm thinking the same. Poor Katie. I can related. Also got glasses in the 3rd grade and the kids made fun of me..."four eyes" etc. Then other kids started getting glasses too, then it wasn't too bad.

If the other kids are making fun of her, they need to be educated also.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those who guessed she was being teased are correct :-\

We had a nice chat, went and got her glasses out of her backpack and she has them on now. I really didn't want to make her cry and could see she was on the verge of tears.

The girl doing the teasing was in my Brownie troop last year. I'm not surprised at all. ( I refrained from going over and pulling the little brat's pony tail)

As soon as she is old enough, we will get her contacts. But I don't think 2nd graders can handle contacts at this age, can they?

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Those who guessed she was being teased are correct
:( Aw man, I'm so sorry. Hope it stops, and I hope Katie understands that some kids are rotten.

I think my nephew got his contacts in the 6th grade. He actually loved his glasses (everyone in our family has glasses, and when he was in the 3rd grade, he said proudly, "yay!! I finally got my glasses!" LOL He went to contacts because of baseball and he also wanted to start wearing sunglasses.

(sorry for the hijack...wanted to share)

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
That's too bad. That little girl is a BRAT!

Glasses are cute nowadays. You tell Katie that I have a niece that doesn't need glasses but WANTED them after one of her cousins got them. :)

I personally think 2nd grade is young for contacts too. I can't remember when I got mine, but it was at least junior high/middle school.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts