Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most of you know & have heard my FIL stories. He is NOT a dog person. The girls are in the bedroom or family room when he is here. The last time he came over he said to Molly "Get out of here." I told you about that visit.
Well I never say anything, he is 90 years old & will never change...or so I thought. He was over to visit Sunday & the girls were in the bedroom & Kate was in her crate. Well SU goes to let them out for a potty break. They come back in & I said "Put them in the bedroom & I will put Kate in her crate. Well...FIL says "Oh leave them out."
I figured...here we go. Well I told Molly & Abby to lay down, which they did but Kate jumped on the couch. I told her to get down but FIL says...she is alright. I told her "easy" and she just sits there next to him watching the football game.

First I see this.

Then I see this.

Maybe he is getting a bit senile & forgot he does not like dogs. Go figure. But I was very proud of Kate. For almost 6 months old she was very gentle around him.
Then I actually saw him pet her. I guess you could call it a Christmas miracle. :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Oh my gosh, Georgie, that is adorable! Kate knew just what she was doing, charming that old grouch. ;)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
OMG, that is the sweetest story!!! Is he the kind of guy who tries to be tough on the outside but is a softie when noone is looking? My dad is the same way your FIL is and once in awhile I'll catch him petting the dogs or sneaking food to them. He just has to be a bully/ASS in front of people.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bbbbmom - Nope. He has always been like that. My MIL loved the dogs but not him. I don't know how to explain Sunday. :)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Georgie, that is very touching! :D
Kate is such a sweetie, what a gentle soul she has!
I'm glad you captured it on film, at least you have proof, in case he comes round and realizes what he allowed to happen ;)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
AWWW! What a great story! She is being SUCH a sweet girl! I'm just grinning ear to ear.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
That is a great story. I think some time spent evaluating some dogs in local shelters might be worthwhile. FIL just might like a senior companion.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts