Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made my crust & cut my berries

Simmered more berries (I used my immersion blender to pulse them a bit. Easier than mashing)

Pured the cooled puree over the chopped berries & cooled some more.

Could not wait. Cut when mostly cooled. served with cream whipped with bourbon vanilla & a touch of organic cane sugar.

Thank You, Karina!!! This really IS July in a pie crust!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
You guys are making my heart sing.

I made another pie when I got home from work this evening as well - I couldn't stand not having another slice while berries are at their prime.

I'm just so glad everyone is making and loving strawberry pie. It really was too good, and too easy not to pass along.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
A little slice of heaven (or July!) or I guess more aptly, a little slice of strawberry season.

Your pie crust looks very nice too. Flaky - I can tell from here.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's my Mom's recipe. It is very good, but that one looks a bit raggedy, could have been shaped a bit better. I was rushing :eek:

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Okay, question here. Why did T's pie have more of the sauce? My sauce just kind of sat on top--did not trickle down and coat every berry. I even added 1/2 cup of water to my sauce. I like it to trickle down and coat every berry with yummy sauce.
pout.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't add water, just the berries, cornstarch & sugar. I did pulse it for a few seconds with my immersion blender. Not sure if that made a difference. i used 2 *heaping* cups of berries both times, too. I used a 9 inch pie pan & crust, what size was yours? I did *adjust* the berries & sace after it was poured on, to prevent overflow & to get it around all of the berries. I just shifted them around with a spoon til the sauce hit bottom.

:confused:

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I didn't add water, just the berries, cornstarch & sugar. I did pulse it for a few seconds with my immersion blender. Not sure if that made a difference. i used 2 *heaping* cups of berries both times, too. I used a 9 inch pie pan & crust, what size was yours?:confused:
I don't know -- I think it was a 9 or 10 inch pan. Next time I am adding more water, dammit. Once I recuperate from eating the whole pie by myself. Which is going to take a couple more days.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just shift the berries around with a spoon once you pour the sauce over. This will coat all your berries. No need for any water. Oh, and be sure it's a 9 inch & not a deepdish... just a regular 9. =)

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I'm jealous of all of you. I have no berries. No pie crust. And no one to make pie for!! My stinkin' family won't eat berries or pie! Unless it is chocolate pie. The stinkin' stinkers. Oh and my kids are not even here! LOL

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
*drool*

That looks divine. Looks as though I will have to be hitting the gym extra hard this week.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I made it using chocolate cheesecake type filling under the berries..used 1 strawberry pie recipe for 2 pies with cheesecake underneath. You could even use the Philidelphia Cheesecake filling you buy in the store.

I used my chopper I use for nuts on my berries to "crush" them. And then when the cooked mixtured cooled some I stirred my fresh berries into the pot to coat and then put them in the pie shell or on top of the pies with cheesecake type filling. (I made multiple pies as my nephew took one and mom took 2 to a church pot luck.) The chopper worked well on "crushing the berries".

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I am so jealous, it's winter here :( Strawberries are not readily available. I have to wait another whole 5 months before I can make this!!!!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I'm making one to take to the beach with us this weekend! I'm going to surprise the family because we all love fresh strawberries! Do you think I should make one now just for practice!;):D

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Why in holy hell did I open this? I am absolutely starving to death, sitting here eating the only thing I have for breakfast - dry Apple Jacks in a baggie.

That looks amazing!! What is this bourbon vanilla whipped cream of which you speak? :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts