Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have these holes in our backyard, several in one clustered area. They've been there for several years actually, but this year I noticed 2 that are about the size of a baseball, both with entrance and exits. WTH could it be??!!! The only thing I've ever seen in the backyard are groundhogs, but they are under the shed. Mink don't go in the ground, do they? :eek: That's the only thing I can think of....

We've covered the holes with rocks, because I don't want the dogs running around back there and get their leg stuck in one. Too stinking bad for th critter(s), they can find another way out! :D

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
LOL; moles!! My girls are constantly digging for them. Zoe brought me two last summer. One alive and placed it on the couch!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's what I originally thought over the years, Sandy, but this year they're BIG! Big holes = giant moles?! :eek:

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Moles also don't like the dark, so they don't have open holes. Although the holes sound a bit on the small size I'd guess ground hogs/woodchucks. Sounds about the right size for Prairie Dogs, but yer way to far east. Some sort of ground squirrel is another possibility, but is a bit large for the kind we have around here.

Either one, just send me a plane ticket and I'll help, I get calls for that once in a while.:D

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
...Mink don't go in the ground, do they? :eek: That's the only thing I can think of....
They might, but I would assume they're burrows would be near water, not in a back yard. We had a pair down at the camp's lake years ago. They're pretty rare, tho.

or they could be rabbit burrows.
That's what I was thinking, too. Honestly, tho, it could also be the woodchuck, although I think, given the choice, they would prefer being under the shed.

How big of a hole are we talking about, Amy?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Could be rats. We had some rats that had a burrow in our yard (fortunately, they never took up residence in our house). Their hole was a bit smaller than a baseball. I only saw one entrance, but it was within a few feet of the neighbors back yard, so the other hole may have been over there.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Now rats do make sense, also mostly noctermal so you don't see them, don't see many rats around here so I don't think of tem, fact is I ain't see a wild rat since they got rid of all the old small town open dumps, an enviromental disaster, but they could be a lot of fun.:D

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
My guess is moles too. Moles or voles ... do skunks burrow?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now y'all gots me head spinnin'! :D

Groundhogs actually, errrrrrr, live in the ground? :eek:

I've never seen a rabbit around here, in all the years we've been here.....

Oh God no, please not rats.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Rats. I had the same problem in my back yard. Had a beautiful compost pile and discovered large holes. I stopped composting immediately and the rats disappeared, but not before one drowned in Nellie's pool. Norway rats are pretty big and disgusting.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I've never seen a groundhog hole out in the open and believe me, we've had our share of groundhogs. "Ours" have always had their holes up against or near a structure of some sort - the house, the shed, the deck, a tree trunk...

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I've never seen a groundhog hole out in the open and believe me, we've had our share of groundhogs. "Ours" have always had their holes up against or near a structure of some sort - the house, the shed, the deck, a tree trunk...
They often burrow near places like that, but they also burrow in the open, often near crops/food,

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
The holes sound a bit small for groundhogs. Groundhogs do however very readily make burrows in open ground. Bunnies are more apt to burrow near shrubs or cover. They tend to "go to ground" in severe winters.

I might suspect rats, as that is indeed about the size of the hole they make. This is how we used to do rats back in the '40's and '50's. Gas them. No wonder the technicians died early eh?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, stupid question, but what do rats feed on? I mean, I know they like garbage and stuff, but there really isn't anything appealling for them here, if that's what it is. There's nothing around but grass, some stickers, and 3 big dogs.

What about snakes?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Rats will eat anything, sometimes making burrows near a food source, but not necessarily. I think that would be a fairly big snake to make a hole the size of a baseball.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
A couple large Bull Snakes or Hognosed Snakes would help keep the rats down. :D

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
OK, stupid question, but what do rats feed on? I mean, I know they like garbage and stuff, but there really isn't anything appealling for them here, if that's what it is. There's nothing around but grass, some stickers, and 3 big dogs...
Anything and everything. How close are you neighbors? And do they have stuff/garbage piled around?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts