Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I'm nuts or not, but it seems like every time someone hear loses their friend I feel compelled to remind my 2 that I will be there for them when their day comes. Any one else do this?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Maybe this is bad, but when I hear about someone losing their dog, in particualr a lab on this board, I look at Elias and get tears wondering how I will ever be able to handle it. No matter how hard though, I will be beside him.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
My promise is to do something fun with my dogs every day. Time is too short. I'm always there at the end for them, but it's life that really counts. Make a committment to be there daily and to do something fun that your dog loves daily :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Raian,

You are absolutely right! Everytime I think about "that day" I get a hitch in my throat and think about a quote that haunts me. I have posted it before, so forgive me, but it is timely:

"Dog's lives are too short, their only fault really." ~ Agnes Sligh Turnbull (1888-1979)

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Yup, I've promised them that I will always be there for them and love them no matter what. That I'll do something fun with them that they love every day, and that when their time comes that I will do what I know is right for them.

F

·
0 Posts
The first promise i've made, is that Laika never, and i said never, again will be a rescue dog ;)

And for the rest, the common thing's such, being good for her, plenty of walks, etc ... ;D

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Maybe this is bad, but when I hear about someone losing their dog, in particualr a lab on this board, I look at Elias and get tears wondering how I will ever be able to handle it. No matter how hard though, I will be beside him.
I do the same with Thor :-\

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I had been promising Shadow a fenced yard, so she could stay outside as long as she wanted, explore, run, and play ... she never got it. :'(

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
One of the biggest promises I made Mick was not to let him go through life the way my sister let her Dalmatian mix. That poor dog had so much pain in her hips that she practically walked on her front legs the last couple of years of her life. Mick was about 7 when I made that promise to him.

I've promised Caleb that I will do everything I can to let him live up to the possiblities I see in him.

Of course, both dogs were promised to be loved and spoiled and kept safe their entire lives. :)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Buying or rescuing a dog is a promise in itself.....or it should be. When you get a dog, that's a promise to that dog to take care of it....love it....give it the best health care possible....play with it....give it plenty of attention. That promise was made to Sally by me signing the owner's papers with the breeder and taking that sweet chocolate puppy in my arms.

Above that, I've promised her lots of trips to the park....swims in the lake....and lots of cookies! ;)

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
My promise to Lucy and Cricket is similiar to Linda's. There isn't a single day that goes by that I don't take them into the woods for a good romp/hike off leash or take them to a pond/river to swim. I know how much the thrill of freedom means to them and I think I can count on one hand in 4 years that I wasn't able to do that for them.
and I feel the same way when someone here on the board loses their companion..I look at Lucy and Cricket and I just well up with tears thinking that I wish that day of losing either of them would never have to be.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
AmazonGold said:
I had been promising Shadow a fenced yard, so she could stay outside as long as she wanted, explore, run, and play ... she never got it. :'(
I think Shadow got everything she needed and wanted from you while she was here. Now she's in a place where she can run and explore all she wants.

I promise my two to never let anyone hurt them, that I won't let them suffer, and that I will let them be dogs.

B

·
0 Posts
I promise Billie that no matter what happens to me she'll never go back to a shelter. I also promise her that together we'll work on making me more patient and her less spazzy.

Mostly I tell her every day that her mommy loves her best. She looks at me with her little nose right up to mine and I know she knows what I'm saying. Maybe, just maybe it makes up for whatever crap she had in life before I had her.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I haven't actually made a promise to Buddy to be there at the end. That is just a given. I don't think dogs understand that concept. This is more a promise you make to yourself. I'm with Raian. I try to do something everyday with Buddy. The only real promise I've ever made him was while we were getting his CDX. I told him if he'd just get that 3rd and last leg, he'd NEVER have to do out-of-sights again. I've pretty much kept that promise.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I never felt compelled to promise my dogs to take care of them, play and walk etc. I love doing that. Just when something happens and I think about the worst I just feel compelled to tell them I will be there. And yes, Buddysmom I'm sure they don't understand what I am telling them and it is probably more for me than them, but at the time it just seems important.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I was at the vet's this morning doin' the whole heartworm test, getting the prevention meds for the summer thing, and this older couple walks out of one of the exam rooms holding a well-worn (empty) harness and leash.

The lady's face was all puffy and red, and she gave the receptionist a hug on her way out... I felt the waterworks coming, and had to turn away. I couldn't even look, knowing exactly what had just happened. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

"that day" scares me a lot. Anytime I hear about anyone having to go through it, I look at Peanut and totally break down.

I think I'm in denial, it's almost as if I have to pretend like it will never happen, because the thought of it is just too horrible.

I guess my major promise to all of my pets is to do my very best for them. Whether that means educating myself in areas that I wasn't even aware of, swallowing my pride or making sacrifices that I wouldn't otherwise make, I will always do my very best for each and every one of them that touches my life. I will be there when "that day" comes, because I love them, and they will know that into their last breath.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I promised apollo that i'd never give up with him. He's had 4 homes in his 1 year of life and I promised him that no matter how long it took to housebreak him, no matter how many things he chewed up, no matter how scared of sam he was, or how few tricks he knew I would NEVER EVER EVER leave his side.

·
Registered
242 Posts
As bad as this may sound, I put Sam before myself...if I don't meet his needs first, I can't enjoy meeting my own. He gets two nice off-leash romps a day, swimming whenever possible and soccer ball time, and just like the rest of you, lots of attention and love and consistency/stability. I think dogs like rules and schedules and daily rituals. Just like kids, it make them feel secure and safe.

My only human child, my son, is off in the airforce getting flight training. I'm very proud of him and we are close....but he doesn't need me anymore, not the way Sammie needs me every day. I've made arrangements for Sam's well being if I were to die suddenly. I want him to have the very best of love and care until his last day.

And I'll be there to help him to the bridge, even though it will kill me. I signed on for that when I brought that chubby little fur ball home 3 years ago.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts