Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still shaken up. This happened less than an hour ago. This doesn't involve my dogs, thank goodness, but none the less.

It is 3:40pm here. I took the dogs out for a walk around our local woods (45-60 minute round trip) at 2:15pm. It takes 5 minutes on leash to walk there. Just as we reached the entrance to the woods I let all 4 dogs off leash as I always do. Then, I notice a brown and white Greyhound trotting over with no owner in sight. The dog had a collar on so I figured it must be owned by someone. It came to say hello and then walked away, sniffing the ground. I thought nothing of it and continued walking.

About 2 minutes later, the Greyhound catches up with us. I was just about to turn around and see if it had owners calling for it when, from around another corner, an older man with a Rough Collie and a Toy Poodle appear. I said 'hello' to the man and then told him that this Greyhound was following us. Then it happened. The Greyhound pinned the Poodle down by the neck. The Poodle was screaming. I never want to hear that sound again. Then I noticed the blood. Lots of it. This Greyhound was not just attacking -- it was out to kill. The Poodles owner was on top of the Greyhound trying to pry its jaws away from the Poodle. I was doing everything I could to help although I have to admit, at first, I froze. I have witnessed some attacks but NOTHING like this.

Then, with the help from some passers by, we finally freed the Poodle. Blood was everywhere. The Poodle was terrified and it ran with his other dog (Rough Collie) towards a main road covered in blood. The man went after his dogs (still no idea what happened to them :-\) and I held on to the Greyhound. Someone called the Police who called out the dog warden. Unless the Greyhound is owned by someone it will be PTS.

I think the morale of this story is if you have a dog that 'dislikes' small dogs, please, please leash or muzzle them while you are out in public. This attack was truly horrifying. :(

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
how terrible.. I know many of the greyhound adoption places warn owners NEVER to let their dogs run off lead, and NEVER trust them not to chase small furry things. All the training in the world won't trump thousands of years of genetics.

I hope the little dog is alright...

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
My best friend is a Greyhound advocate and a Greyhound owner. She will not let her dogs got to places with small dogs or cats.

I'm sorry you had to see that.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have noticed several Greyhounds at our dog park wearing muzzles. I assume they are rescued racing dogs that are trained to chase that race rabbit. If you adopt a Greyhound here the rescue group has you sign an pledge that you will keep the dog on a leash anytime you take it outside of your house. They are sight hounds and will attack any small animal they spot.
Hope that poodle is OK and the owner of that Greyhound is located and held responsible.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
kaytris said:
how terrible.. I know many of the greyhound adoption places warn owners NEVER to let their dogs run off lead, and NEVER trust them not to chase small furry things. All the training in the world won't trump thousands of years of genetics.

I hope the little dog is alright...
i was thinking the same thing.
what a tragedy for both dogs. :(

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Greyhounds are sight dogs and will go after any small animal they see. It's in their breeding and, to their detriment (as in this case) they can't help it. Some are less so than others, and often as they get older, their drive to do this lessens.
But even at our dog park, most greyhounds that enter are muzzled.

This is so very sad. My first thought is that the owner's weren't aware he/she was out.
This is so unfortunate for the poodle, and for the greyhound, although I certainly pity the poodle more.

When I see a sight hound, I'm always very wary of any small animals in sight.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
My BIL has a rescue greyhound they were also told to NEVER let him off lead in the open first because they are so fast you'll never catch them if they get spooked or on the trail of something. And second because of them chasing small animals.
I hope the greyhounds owner is held responsible and the poor poodle makes it.

T

·
0 Posts
kaytris said:
Very true. I have a friend w/ several adopted greyhounds and the ones that have been trained w/ live prey can never be trusted around small fuzzy animals.

I'm so sorry about the poodle. I hope he'll be okay. How very frightening for you and the poodle's owner.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know many of the greyhound adoption places warn owners NEVER to let their dogs run off lead,
I know. I think the Greyhound is owned by someone. He had a leather collar on but he was very skinny. I know Greyhounds are very skinny but this dog had zero muscle tone. So who knows. If an owner can't be found unfortunately I think his fate is already sealed. Right now I am having trouble feeling sorry for the Greyhound considering what it did but I also know in a way that he couldn't help it. :-\

The majority of Greyhounds around here are ex racers. That would explain why it was completely ok with my bigger dogs but savaged the Poodle. :(

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
How horrible!!!

Hoping that the little poodle is okay!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
What a terrbile thing to have to see. I certainly hope the poodle is okay, but will likely be scarred emotionally. I'm glad you were able to get the greyhound off.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
OH MY GOSH. I have chills just reading that. I hope I never see anything like that, ever. :'(

I hope the man got his poor poodle back. Oh, just so horrible. I am glad you were there to help restrain the Greyhound.

What in the world? I don't think of Greyhounds as the type of dog to do something like this. Guess this just goes to show, there is no "type." :-\

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I know many of the greyhound adoption places warn owners NEVER to let their dogs run off lead, and NEVER trust them not to chase small furry things. All the training in the world won't trump thousands of years of genetics.
OH. Duh. Now I get it. :-[

1 - 20 of 27 Posts