Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today one of my professors told me I had a "completely correct" answer - but he was only giving me half credit on an exam because it was not what he would've written. This changes my grade in his course. I am so disappointed. :confused: I'm trying to let it go and move on, just not succeeding at the moment...

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I am not going to help you accept it. I am going to tell you to fight it.

You are not his clone. He is there to teach not to get people to think and respond like he would. If he thinks like that he is looking to create people who spew back to him his ideas just like the Nazi party.

If your answer is completely correct it deserves full credit and therefore you deserve the better grade. Can you file an appeal? I certainly would.

But I will tell you I am no shrinking violet. So if I caused heck it wouldn't matter to me. I would stand up for myself just because of the principal of the thing.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
That is extremely bizarre. Unless there is some problem that is covered in a grading rubric (e.g., you have trouble with expression, which seems doubtful given your eloquent posts here), why wouldn't you be entitled to full credit? I would appeal, too.

I'm not sure how things are in the vet world WRT grades. In the humanities and social sciences, grades mean nothing (if you're not doing A work, you shouldn't be in graduate school). Only your publications matter. So it may be a moot point. ??

Or you could tell him that I know Judith Rodin and could get her to kick his ass.* :p

*oops, I guess that won't do you any good anymore.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I would appeal, go to his superior if necessary. For him to tell you the answer was completely correct, but not 'what he would have written,' show an obscene amount of ego on his part and that has no business in grading!

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
that is ridiculous! "completely correct" but not what he would have written? doesn't he expect his students to have some individuality? that is absurd and i would challenge it also.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Wow. That really is very strange. And shitty. I think I would also appeal to the dean, especially since it affects your overall grade in a significant way. You shouldn't have to regurgitate what he would do for it to be correct enough to get full credit.

There is a professor in the engineering school that has a similar philosophy...on homework and exams you can have the correct answer but still not get full credit, mostly because he expects you to go "above and beyond" and do additional research. Dude, if I have the correct answer, I HAVE THE CORRECT ANSWER. No research needed. Professors like that are douchebags.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the support, SO wants me to go higher up as well. I'm going to attempt to write him an email, as he works remotely and I won't have a chance to see him again until the final for another of his courses that I am taking. If that doesn't work I will evaluate where to go from there. My main problem is that he sits on the education committee that would vote on changing my grade, but the more I think about it I would at least like to make it known to his peers that he prefers his students to regurgitate material rather than formulate their own ideas.

While it's only a 4 credit course, and so in the grand vet school credit scheme means almost nothing, I still prefer the grade I (imo) earned. There was to be no discussion as far as he was concerned, "That question's grading was subjective, you should be thankful I gave credit at all for that answer. Many of your classmates lost all points." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Are you close with any of your classmates? When I was in a class where the teacher was not grading fairly, I and another student went and spoke to another trusted teacher and prepared to go higher up. Turned out though that was all we had to do--knowing we and his peers were all against him forced him to change his ways.

Good luck! It's a tough situation to be in.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Thanks everyone for the support, SO wants me to go higher up as well. I'm going to attempt to write him an email, as he works remotely and I won't have a chance to see him again until the final for another of his courses that I am taking. If that doesn't work I will evaluate where to go from there. My main problem is that he sits on the education committee that would vote on changing my grade, but the more I think about it I would at least like to make it known to his peers that he prefers his students to regurgitate material rather than formulate their own ideas.While it's only a 4 credit course, and so in the grand vet school credit scheme means almost nothing, I still prefer the grade I (imo) earned. There was to be no discussion as far as he was concerned, "That question's grading was subjective, you should be thankful I gave credit at all for that answer. Many of your classmates lost all points." :rolleyes:
Obviously I cannot comment on the merit of your answer, but I have been on both sides of this and have a few comments.

Freshman year in college I went to a professor to point out a clear grading error. After listening to me he said ---- you are right, you should have received more credit for that question, and I am sure you received some credit you didn't deserve on other questions. Do you want me to regrade the whole test?

As a graduate teaching assistant - got lots of complaints. Sometimes valid and I changed the grade, sometimes not valid. You said the professor told you your answer was "completely correct". Sometimes there is a difference between completely correct and complete and correct. Especially if it is an essay or short answer type question. Don't know if that applies in your case or not.

Before pushing it too far, think about what you may gain and what you may lose. What do you gain by making his peers aware of the issue? Satisfaction of making him look bad to his peers? That doesn't really get you anything. Will you take other classes from this professor? Can he help you find a job? You have to balance all this against the benefit you get from getting your grade changed and the probability of that happening if you escalate the issue.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Talk it over with a trusted professor in your faculty and take her/his advice.

Your prof's comment strikes me as coming from someone a little (or lot) too full of himself.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I'm with Maple 1. I think there are plenty of times in subjectively graded tests where the professor is looking for you to stress certain information that he/she felt was especially important. Just being correct doesn't mean that you placed the emphasis on what the prof. felt was most important.

Personally, I'd talk to the professor in a completely non-confrontational way about how I could have answered the question in a way that he would have given it complete credit. He's more likely to see your point about your answer, and you get to lead him to believe that his opinion on the material is really important to you. It was my experience that profs love it when they think you actually care what they think. It can pay off down the road in ways that calling him on the carpet never will.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Maple and Robin, you guys raise some good points. Judging from his personality I highly doubt he would change my grade at this point, so I suppose I have very little to gain out of taking this any higher. Luckily, he wouldn't be one to help me get a job, he's not a vet and not even remotely close to my field of interest, and I am currently in my last class with him ever. Can't wait for that final exam!

This is the first time I can ever remember attempting to "argue" about marks on a question. I got feedback on the questions I clearly got wrong (which I always like to do for non-multiple choice exams that don't provide answer keys). Then approached the part in question as, "This was a topic that I thought I had a good grasp on. Could you explain to me where I went wrong for future reference?" He immediately got uptight and defensive, telling me that my answer was correct but he really wanted the explanation he used in class given as the answer :confused:

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Principles of Epidemiology, the exam was all short answer and definitions.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm. Was it a short answer or a definition that you are questioning? I would definitely still appeal it if it were a short answer.
Short answer :) Definitions are pretty cut and dry, not much point in arguing those ever!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts