Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
delivered late this afternoon. (Our washer died RIGHT before we went on vacation.)

This is my first frontloader. It makes me nervous. Anything I need to know?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I have had mine 10 days and love it.

I have been told to leave the door open so the seal dries out and doesn't start to smell funny. So if we have done laundry we leave it open for about 4 hours.

Use soap that is rated HE as regular soap produces too much suds.

Enjoy it we love ours.

I got an LG what brand did you buy?

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Also, if you have heavy jacket, jeans and items with zippers, be sure to lift the clothes out and not drag them out across the seal. Someone did that with mine and ripped the seal which caused it to leak. We were able to buy the part and replace it, but it was an expense and pain we didn't need!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Don't get obsessed. ;) When I first started using mine, I would watch it constantly. I was stunned that it used such little water and did such a good job. My husband would call, and say . . . Are you in the laundry room again? I would wash things that didn't need to be washed, just to watch it. I am over that now. ;)

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I would really love one. My neighbors got one after their regular one broke and flooded their house. They have LG's and love them. They said they saved $30 a month on the water bill.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We got a Samsung.

My last washer came with a guide - it will hold this many towels, this many pairs of jeans... This one just says 'Do not overload the machine.' So, what's overloading?

The salesman said as long as there's enough room to reach your arm in and touch the back then it's not too full. Is that right?

(Thanks for the tip about lifting the clothes out. Never would have realized you could rip the seal.)

I sat there and watched the first load. Riley made fun of me. It seems impossible that the clothes are getting clean. I know it's running water in there I can hear it, but you can barely see any. I just don't understand how it can work!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
The tumble action repeatedly mashes the clothes against each other. It's as if you've got an old-time washboard in there, scrubbing. Or, as our ancestors did, were beating the dirt out by pounding the clothes on a rock down by the stream.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I have had one for 4 yrs. now and the control panel went out 2 wks ago. They came and fixed it this morning. ($390) Sear's Kenmore and I empty the soap dispenser and leave that and the door open all the time. Wish I had the stand for it now tho'.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I don't know anything about them, but how was your vacation?! :)

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
We got a Bosch front loader last year. I'm in Heaven!

Besides leaving the door open when you are done...I run a load of hot water with bleach by itself every month or so just to rinse it out. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
The seal is so tight that it will get a musty odor inside if you don't leave the door open.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, what about overloading it? How much is too much to put in there?

There was water in the soap dispenser after - is that normal? I did know to leave the door open, but didn't think I should leave the dispenser open too.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vacation was great, Amy. Thanks for asking. =) I have what seems like a million pictures. I need to get them on something larger than the tiny viewfinder on my camera and see how many actually turned out.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Glad to hear it!! :)

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I usually pull the soap dispenser out and empty water out and then leave open after putting back into holder.

Overloading???? Don't think I have ever done that. Underloading, now I've done that. It sends it off balance and beeps and makes all kinds of noises at you! Open door redistribute and good to go usually.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts