Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit I get frightened easy. Took Jack in today for a look due to several lingering symptoms. He is going on 13 maybe, as a rescue hard to tell and Jack will not discuss his age other than to point out he is at teat mischievous age. He has had an occasional dry cough every day for over a month though they are occurring more often. He seems to be panting more. But panting is a way he communicates what he wants, or when he is excited. His poops are soft serve to diarrhea and occasionally has red stuff in it. He is looking a bit a thin and seems to be hungry all the time but then again, he is a Lab. Jack is still active, goes for walks, like to fetch, and is pretty much his normal self.

Vet did a rectal exam. I held his head, the tech held on to the hind quarters while the vet looked for tumors or other abnormalities. Jack stared at me the entire time. Vet found some wide bladed grass and what she first took to be a bird bone. Turned out to be green bean stem. She believes the grass and stem is what is causing the bleeding.

Vet listened to his lungs and heart a long time and thought X rays were called for. Said she was taking two. Jack was gone for a long time and it was a long time after that before the vet came back and asked me to come look at the images with her. She took six images.

His heart is fine. When she listened to his lungs she thought there was some infection. What she pointed out on the images were many random white dots in the lung area, mostly on the right side though some were on the left as well. Some could be blood vessels but because of the sound she heard and number of dots she believes it could be lung cancer. She is sending the images to a radiologist for interpretation and should have results back by noon tomorrow. She does not want to discuss any further steps until after getting an opinion from the radiologist. Makes sense to me.

Jack has not coughed since I made the appointment. We do not have a diagnosis. We have pills for the loose stool, more Derramax, Heartgard, Advantax, and the promise they will consider naming a new exam room after us.
LD

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I'm sorry, Andy.

This is what happened to my golden retriever. She had a cough that I thought was KC at first. Keep the chin up and give him lots of love and his favorite things. If he is eating...that is GOOD!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
When you described the cough and breathing I thought you were going to say that he has what Buddy has. Buddy started coughing late last summer. He kept trying to bring something up but nothing ever came. He made some horrendous sounds when these episodes occurred. A trip to ER and xrays of his stomach showed nothing. They thought he might have gas from an empty stomach. All these months later, it turns out he had laryngeal paralysis. He had surgery on the one bad side 8 days ago and while an occasional cough still occurs, he is otherwise fine. I hope you get a favorable report from your vet.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2096&aid=861

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.