Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was mowing the grass this afternoon. I ran over something (which turned out to be a dog toy). I bend down to flip the bottom of the lawn mower up and the top of my hand touches the bright shiny metal piece. I am guessing its covering the lawn mower engine. (ETA: I burned my hand.) I scream in pain. And I mean SCREAM. I'd rather birth another child. Kyle runs out of the house and I tell him, get your brothers as fast as you can and get in the car. I can see the hospital from our house. Our road is off of the hospital road. The kids start crying because I am in so much pain. We made quite the scene walking in the door of the ER. They were swamped. Some nurse assistant of some sort put ointment on it and bandaged it. I have ice bag on it and they told me to come back tomorrow morning to the walk in clinic. Man it hurts BAD! And now I'm just madly crying because I want my SU home now! Its just not fair! OK, I'll shut up now because I know you must be so sick me always complaining about no SU, but sometimes it really sucks!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Laurie! Did you nick a tendon? Is it just a flesh wound? (I don't mean "just" a flesh wound... they can be hurtful enough).

You probably know the routine by now... rest, ice, elevation. Are you okay now? I mean, okay enough that you aren't woosie? :(

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I'm so sorry Laurie. I don't blame you for feeling upset. I wish that Steve was there. It just seems unfair.

Was it a burn or a cut? If it was a burn I definietly concur with the ice - nothing works better, and get some advil in your system too. And might I suggest a glass of wine.

I hope that you feel better soon.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know but I'm a little scared because it hurts really bad and the person who saw me was maybe a volunteer, or someone not very high up. My bandage looks really yucky. I might have to go back. I'm not wimpy either, so when I told SU on the phone, he said if I was complaining that much, then it must really hurt. I think part of it is just stress.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, sorry I didnt clarify, its a burn not a cut.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Burns can be even worse than cuts. And more painful too.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
If it's a burn, put it on ice. Burns are extremely painful so I definitely feel for you.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm so sorry, Laurie. Burns are very painful. I know it's tough with Steve not ther but our thoughts are with you. Go back in if it really hurts - perhaps they can give you something for the pain.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Oh man. I'm sorry, Laurie. :(

I agree with Mark, if it is really bad maybe go back in for something for the pain. And I would ask to see a nurse, at the very least.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I'm sorry, Laurie. Been there, done that. It really, really hurts.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Oh no. Sorry. When I was in college, I burned my fingers on a crucible. Fifteen years later and I can still remember the searing pain (and yours sounds a lot worse!). Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
they don't let volunteers touch people, laurie.. can you say "lawsuit"? So whomever it was, probably knew enough to know it's okay to go home as-is.

Burns are awful painful!

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Laurie, go ahead and feel down and sad...youre entitled and it's NOT fair.

do you have any aloe around you could put on it to help with pain and scars? Feel better. Im glad your boys were there to help.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
(((hugs))) I am so sorry. Burns are very painful. The irony of how hard you worked at getting into the fence so you could cut the grass, to only get hurt. Why do these things always happen when the SU is TDY or on a remote tour? Hope you can get some pain relief.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
(((HUGS))) It's been a bad week for you, huh? :( I hope your hand feels better soon. I just found out my hubby is going to be deployed again in a few months, and I'm not looking forward to it at all.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
:(

((((((((((hugs)))))))))) hang in there, and if it hurts that bad I'd go back and have it checked out....then again I'm a big baby lol

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If it's not badly blistered it most likely don't need checked but if you are in bad pain go back and get some pain meds, that is what they are for, folks who are really in pain. (I had to get the same lecture from my doctor to let him give me some the first time he dealt with me, but I have my reasons I didn't want them and not because I was trying to be macho.) They help you rest and resting helps you heal.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts