Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at my vets office today to make another payment and the ladys were all asking about Sarah. I told them how well she was doing and that she'd finished her coccidia medicine yesterday. One of the techs, said "what, wait a minute, I missed something". So I had to fill her in on that. She said that well ya, she did come from a pet store in Boise, Idaho so you never know what she could have picked up. :-\

Ok, now I'm wondering, how do puppies end up at pet stores like that? I've seen puppies in the pet stores in the bigger cities. Our 1 and only pet store only sells fish and birds and it's ran out of the guys garage. I'm also wondering if I could possibly find the pet store that she came from and at least find out her date of birth or some history of some kind.

I am a very curious person. ;D Part of it is just wanting to be a good lab mom to my girls and learn all I can about the breed.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Oh boy, puppies end up at pet stores everywhere from irresponsible backyard breeders. Our local place even sells mutts - people's mistakes, mixes like 1/4 pit, 1/4 Lab, 1/2 shepherd. ::)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
They mostly come from puppy mills and Backyard breeders. They are usually bred without clearances being done on the parents and with little to no planning on the part of the breeder in terms of bettering the breed or making sure the puppies will be healthy and thrive as they grow.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What possible things could we watch for? I'm not worried about her being a mix of somekind, that doesn't matter as we're not even planning on breeding either of our girls. That's why Madison was spayed. So far Sarah seems to be pretty healthy, besides just finished her coccidia meds. She does seem to almost waddle sometimes but not others.... ??? .....but she runs, jumps..everything just fine.

TIA for all your input. :)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Well, the kinds of things you would look for are problems with hips, knees, elbows, eye problems.

The waddling would concern me. When do you notice it? and what does it look like when she does this?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
The waddling wouldn't bother me....yet. Remember Sarah's only been up on her feet for a few weeks. Just like human babies, they tend to waddle for awhile when they walk. Once she gains strength in her legs and they straighten up, the waddling should end. If not, then get her checked when she's about 4-6 months of age.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your input. :) It's really appreciated.

I'm trying to figure out how to best describe what I think of as Sarah's waddle. Well, at times if you're looking down on her as she's walking away, her belly goes to one side while her butt goes the other way. She'll sometimes walk that way after she first wakes up from a nap or gets up in the mornings. Like I said before, it's not all the time though.

We're guessing she'll be about 4 months old the first of June, we're only guestimating at this point since we don't have anything approximate. The vets office (which is also the pound) are the ones that told us she's 3 months old. I'll also be taking her back in a couple of weeks for her next round of shots and worming and will talk to our vet.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Does she sway like she has a spring in her middle? Cinnamon walks like that we call it her swivel motion or her sexy walk. I had her x-ray at 6 months when she was spay and her hips looked fine. She has no signs of limping or hip pain, butt tucks like mad and she is 2 1/2 now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
azlab said:
Does she sway like she has a spring in her middle?
I'd say kind of....... your comment made me think of the slinky dog from the Toy Story movie ;D That would be a good description of how she walks, lol So maybe she'll just outgrow it? But it's still something that we won't rule out.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Have to tell you I worried about Sammi's "sway", for quite some time! Asked folks on here, and had her hips xrayed. Just in the last couple of months, she is now 15 almost 16months old has it gone away! Dont know if it was part of her growing or what, but she now has a normal gait, trot and a wonderful "butt tuck". Oh yeah her xrays were clear, and maybe this would give you some piece of mind. I had Sammi's done when she was spayed and repeated them again a couple of months ago just because I am a nervous nelley and wanted to be as sure as I could be. Hopefully all will be just fine with Sarah, she is such a pretty girl!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
azlab said:
Cinnamon walks like that we call it her swivel motion or her sexy walk. I
Sexy walk. ;D

Essy sways when she walks casually (she doesn't do this when she is working though). She really swings her butt back and forth. She's 2 1/2 and her hips xrayed Excellent so I don't think a sway is necessarily an indication of an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts