Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the recalls happening I know alot of raw feeders (myself included) have felt that we are 'lucky' to feed raw because we aren't affected by the recall......wrong. If you aren't doing it now, I would seriously reccommend calling your meat supplier and finding out what they feed their animals. Some pork and chicken has been tainted with Melamine and it might be smart to double check that the meat that you are feeding IS NOT tainted.

Great. Now not only do we have to watch what goes into our pet's mouth, but we have to watch what goes into the mouth of the animals we feed to our pets!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
An article in the paper said that the chickens had been cleared. I don't feed Caleb pork so that wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't feed pork to my crew either. Good to hear that chicken is cleared! That makes me :) . I am concearned about what the breeders feed the mice that I feed to my ferrets, so I called them up and they said that they did NOT feed melamine contaminated food to the mice, but I still worry.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I can't worry cause I can't control it so, why create an ulcer! Me personally! I do the best I can and watch were I get my stuff. I know Hare Today doesn't use any of that type of stuff, either so I do beleive most of my stuff for Caleb is fine.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya know what? I really think i've 'blossomed' into a chronic worryer. I gotta stop that. I found a grey hair the other day and I'm only 19!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Apollopuppy said:
Ya know what? I really think i've 'blossomed' into a chronic worryer. I gotta stop that. I found a grey hair the other day and I'm only 19!
You are way too young to be a chronic worrier! My Mom was one and I kept telling her that nothing she ever worried about came to pass. Just caused strife and ulcers. Do the best you can do with the knowledge you have and continue to learn, grow and adapt to the new knowledge!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't used to be a chronic worrier, but in the last 6 months everything that could go wrong, did. So I kinda picked up this habit of worrying my ass off. Now things are looking up, but I still worry. I gotta work on that, I'm driving myself nuts!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Have you heard that when you worry - you might actually cause some things to go wrong by planting those thoughts in your mind?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually yes, I have....lol....I've been working on being optomistic and just chilling out lol! Lord knows I need to.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Worrying causes cancer...oops, I just gave you something else to worry about :eek: ;D
Life's too short to waste on what ifs. If it wasn't for the bad stuff, we wouldn't know the good stuff when it happens, so I look at set backs as opportunities to appreciate the good stuff.
Savour life and all it's hills and valleys...it's a short ride but it's a good one if you just relax and enjoy it 8)

·
Registered
101 Posts
This subject has been raised many times over the past few weeks on the raw chat groups I belong to. The consensus seems to be that eating meat from an animal that ate grain that may have had melamine and who knows what else in it, does not carry nearly as much risk as feeding the grain with the nasty stuff directly to the cat/dog/ferret. The idea being that the livestock's body has already done a lot of the filtering, and that your animal is getting trace quantities which are probably not significant enough to cause harm. The truth is there are no certainties right now. I would stay away from liver and kidney from affected animals as a pre-caution. But there comes a point when we don't have much choice other than going back to the days of 60 acres and a mule, and raising all of our own food, start to finish. I've had a twinge of worry about melamine in meat, but no more than I worry about all the other wierd, unethical stuff we do to livestock and all the garbage that we already knew was in their feed.
I just don't think there's much more that we can do within reason. Get media coverage, hope for reform, and buy organic if you can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts