Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Computers are starting to drive me crazy. My new laptop has decided not to connect to the internet anymore. It was working fine Thursday night. I come home from work Friday & no internet connectivity. :mad2:
Spent an hour & a half with HP tech lady...plugged & unplugged the router & modem. I don't want my son coming over right now since he just had Lasik surgery Thursday and I don't want him fussing with computer screens. Did you ever just want to throw your computer out the window? I was really getting used to having it & liking it. Oh well....I gave up. I will wait for my son to come in a week or so. Thanks for letting me vent. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I am sure the HP tech asked this, but what the hell. Often it is the obvious that gets missed.

Somewhere on the front or side edge of the laptop is a switch that turns your wireless on and off. Have you checked that?
Second step. Shut the computer down, as in power off. Then find out how to remove the battery. Do it, count to 10, put it back in, and try again.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Computers are like cars...great when they work but when they don't...well you know better than I do! Hope it gets resolved so you are up and running again!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
If it's not your internet connection, you could have a faulty motherboard/wireless card....mine kept going in and out and I had to have the motherboard replaced. Dell did an on-site replacement at my house.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Yes I have wanted to throw mine out the window on many occasions! Hope your son can get it figure out for you Georgie!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You folks always come up with help. Ed, if I knew where the button was on this HP I would try it. I will look though.

Allie, I thought about the possibility of a bad Ethernet card. Guess I will have to wait for my son to check it out. You guys are great.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
The last time that happened to me, it was because the wireless switch had gotten toggled to off.
Talk about feeling dumb!
My DD has an HP and her wireless switch is a button right beside the power on/off button.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spent two hours on the phone with the son. He had remote control of both my desktop & laptop. Of course everything seemed fine. We changed settings, checked the router etc. He said he didn't think it was the Ethernet card....how does he know? Anyway, he will stop by when he can. If it is not fixed....it is going back to HP. Of course son said "this never happened to any of our laptops." Like I am thrilled it happened to mine. I still was hoping it was something simple. Oh well.....the saga continues. I knew I really didn't need that laptop. But I like it so much. :typing:

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Hang in there Georgie, I'm sure you'll get it figured out. I love my laptop so much I don't want or need a desk top any longer!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I spent two hours on the phone with the son. He had remote control of both my desktop & laptop. Of course everything seemed fine. We changed settings, checked the router etc. He said he didn't think it was the Ethernet card....how does he know? Anyway, he will stop by when he can. If it is not fixed....it is going back to HP. Of course son said "this never happened to any of our laptops." Like I am thrilled it happened to mine. I still was hoping it was something simple. Oh well.....the saga continues. I knew I really didn't need that laptop. But I like it so much. :typing:
Hold on a second here. You called your son, and he had remote control of both your desktop and laptop. Is that what you said, and what you meant? If yes, you just told me that you have an internet connection for both. I thought the problem was that you could not get on the internet with the laptop. Help me out here. I would like to help you, but something has gotten twisted around my ankles and I am tripping over any thought I might have.

(1) Can you send an email?
(2) Can you receive an email?
(3) Can you open your browser? Type in www.microsoft.com <return>
What happens for each?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts