Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our first try to get a leg toward the title. We're running Saturday and Sunday. I'm nervous, but we've worked hard and are as ready as we can be given the time we've had to work.

One of my friends is busy firing off emails to me telling me stuff to remember and horror stories about junior dogs who brought back sticks instead of the duck, and then pranced around the gallery (where the observers sit) proudly showing off their stick, with their owner frantically calling "here, here". My trainer is busy telling me ignore whatever the friend is telling me.

And I'm just trying to remember that I can't touch Sam once I signal for the bird to be thrown, and then not before I take the duck from him when he comes back (or stick as the case may be!) and that I can't release him to go get the bird until they say my number or "dog" whichever they choose, and that I should remember to hold him for a few seconds after they say it, otherwise he will learn that the word "dog" is his release and in senior hunter where I can't hold him, we will have developed a problem with breaking (which is going before I say to) and that I need to get a good hold on the duck before I tell him to drop it because if he drops it before I say and causes me to drop it, we're out, and that I have to put the leash I remove from him in my pocket, I can't stand there and hold it, and that I have to reposition myself if it looks like he's going to come in and try to go behind me, and that I can't sound abusive or threatening when I call him, and that I need to blow the come back whistle as soon as his head goes down to pick up the duck, and that I should remember to thank the judges when we're done, and that I should remember to breathe and have fun!

I can see how people forget to breathe with all the other stuff. And having fun is pretty low down on the list. ;D

Anyway, I would appreciate some good thoughts toward our success. I really wish she hadn't told me that stick story....

Frances

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Good luck! And yup, all of the above is true. Although I think that if the dog drops the duck at your feet (You do not catch it in time), you can tell the dog to "take it" (or whatever your command is), and if he then delivers to hand you are o.k....maybe a few trainablity points off.

Try to not let Sam go to the line on a tight lead. Belle got thrown out of one test down in North Carolina because of that. She was not walking on her hind legs or anything, just a tight lead.

Also, not only can you not touch Sam once you have indicated you are ready (and before they say "dog), you can not speak to him either. No additional "stays" or "mark" or anything like that!

UKC tests are MUCH more easy going when it comes to some of these rules.

G

·
Good luck, and I hear you. Scout and I are trialing in 2 weekends - first time for both of us, CD title. We're entered in all 3 days of this show. I emailed my obedience instructor yesterday. I had nothing to ask really, it was a nervous vent. She wrote back this morning and reminded me that this is a hobby and Scout will sense my nerves, so HAVE FUN!

Good luck Frances and Sam, and remember - have fun!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, one person told me a judge told her once that you just remember to breathe and trust your dog.

And another man told me Have fun! It's just dogs picking up chickens!

Frances

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Good luck and have fun. I am sure Sam will do great. ;D

You guys are so lucky over in the USA for all the titles you get to compete for with your dogs. The only official 'titles' that can be won over here are the big ones CH, OTCH, FTCH, etc. :(

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Take a deep breath....try to relax :)

Good luck!

....and if he should happen to bring a stick back and prance it around the gallery.....I hope it's a log! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts