Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am at my wit's end with Abbey and her jumping. She *knows* not to jump on people, but she does it anyways. :mad:

From the very beginning, we discouraged her from jumping by ignoring her and turning around.. not touching her with our hands to push her off. She knows that when I tell her "off" that it means to get down and most of the time she will, she just takes her time doing so.

All of my friends, neighbors and family members know that that are supposed to ignore her and turn around if she jumps. We are very consistent with the training, but she still does it.. especially when she meets someone knew and wants to "test" the boundaries.

Any other techniques I should try? She's 2 and hasn't "gotten" it yet!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I know nobody's going to agree with me here, but i'll tell you how i fixed this with tucker.. it took ONE time and he never jumps on anyone anymore.. now.. he occasionally jumps beside.. but those paws never touch..

I did the knee to chest technique.. tuck jumped, hit my knee and that sent him down, quickly.. he sneezed, looked at me and NEVER jumped again.

I know a lot of people don't do and are against it.. but it worked and i probably got the idea from here since there's no way i would have come up with that on my own.

You decide.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I was going to suggest the knee and/or water spraying trick. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Did you try keeping a leash or rope on her and stepping on it before she has a chance to jump. Mine all learned by "no jump" or scolding just at the time they are about to jump.
A long time ago I had a cocker mix, Susy, who was jumping and I tried the knee. It threw her off balance and she fell backward hitting her head on the floor. Her eyes looked peculiar and I could see she was hurt. She snapped out of it and was OK, but I was so scared to think I hurt her that I never tried the knee correction again.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I would second putting her on a leash. It's the same as any other training correction, imo, once they understand what you want a collar correction is okay.

You could also try to condition her to lay down when she meets people. This would involve a lot of training though, and a lot of patient friends :) I would tell her "down" when a person she likes is approaching, then person tosses her some chicken or hot dog or other really delicious treat. As long as she stays down, that person comes up and gives her more of said delicious treat. If she gets up, new person walks away with the yummy treats. Ideally she would learn to "down" instead of "up" when she's really excited. Patricia McConnell talks about a similar program to condition dogs that bark at doorbells to go into their rooms when the bell rings in For the Love of A Dog - it's toward the middle of the book if you have it - and she explains it much better than I.

All that being said - John and I did the knee in the chest with Jake. He would then jump up straight in the air or on our backs :rolleyes: We went back to the leash and that worked better, he basically self-corrected when he jumped.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Bauer is also a jumper, but only if it is someone he doesn't see very often. He doesn't jump on me, DH or my kids ever. He doesn't jump on any family and friends that come over often. To decrease his excitement, we ask family/friends to ignore him until he stops following them around.

Now, new people are whole different ball game! If it is someone new, I keep him on a leash. If they want to pet him, I make him sit then step on the leash where it hits the ground. With the leash that short, he can't jump if wanted to. After a couple of minutes he calms down and I can step off the leash.

Because my kids participate in lots of sports, he gets a lot of practice. I have taken him to every baseball game this summer (he also went to every baseball game last summer, and every football game/practice last fall). The little brothers/sisters from both teams always want to pet him. This trick has worked very well for us. He hardly ever attempts to jump anymore, but if he does attempt I have him anchored to the ground.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Combination of spray bottle, leash correction and treats worked for us. I tried the knee technic and it only got him riled up at first and then he got the idea. However, since I didn't trust other people to properly use their knee without hurting my dog it was ineffective in making him understand that NO JUMPING applies to all humans and not just me.

The best thing that worked for me was using the spray bottle and saying NO JUMP when people came to our house and he was not on a leash. He got a treat for keeping all four paws on the ground.

When we were out and about meeting people while on a leash I held down the leash, asked him to sit and would not allow people to approach him till he behaved. As soon as he would the person was allowed to pet him. If he acted up the person was asked to step away! ( in this situation it was harder for me to work with the people than the dog...sad)

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Zoe was a jumper.

when excited about people coming over
our behaviorist: have her grab a toy (it worked)
now she'll run to look for a toy and do her circling, which is much better than jumping

if people had food, she would also jump
our behaviorist: Zoe knows the "sit" command. From now on she has 2 options,
"sit" or "sit"

good luck

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.. I have also been trying to work with her on sitting and waiting politely when people enter through the door, too, and she tries to sit, but she gets too excited and her wiggle butt can't stay down on the ground.. ;)

I will try the water and go back to leashing her around people. :)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I know nobody's going to agree with me here, but i'll tell you how i fixed this with tucker.. it took ONE time and he never jumps on anyone anymore.. now.. he occasionally jumps beside.. but those paws never touch..

I did the knee to chest technique.. tuck jumped, hit my knee and that sent him down, quickly.. he sneezed, looked at me and NEVER jumped again.

I know a lot of people don't do and are against it.. but it worked and i probably got the idea from here since there's no way i would have come up with that on my own.

You decide.

This is what we did too. I've also seen someone have their dog on a leash and when it went to jump, very quickly step midway on the leash and the dogs had no choice but to get down. (but to me, that method seemed worse, way worse then the knee) With the knee it's not like you are kicking out at the dog, it' just jumping into your knee and they don't like it.

It's worked for all our family dogs and our 3 labs so far. And like Kelli said, just once and that was all it took.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts