Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parker is getting terrible about jumping on people who come to the house. Thursday the carpet cleaning man came and my daughter said he jumped all over this guy, biting his clothes, pants, etc. He can jump like a kangaroo, no kidding. Today the little guy (14) came to collect for the paper and he went out and jumped on him biting his clothes, and bit a hole in his jacket. I apologized to the mother who was waiting in the van and told her when he came to collect to call me from the van and I'd bring out the money. However, this does NOT solve the problem. Can anyone help me get him to stop this before he gets himself AND ME into trouble? Thanks. :no:

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
put him on a leash and step on it when he goes to jump...otherwise, crate him or put him outside when there are people around.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have to leash both of mine still. And Bogey will soon be 2!
But after a while they calm down and can be let off. They just have to learn its not ok. Try her favorite treat to help too. If you have her attention, someones clothes will be safe! ;)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really once he's inside, he's pretty good. It's when he's outside and someone comes walking on the property (like the boy collecting for the paper) or my neighbor, or some other delivery guy. I don't know whether it's a protective thing or just being obnoxious. I think when the weather gets better I will take him out there and have someone walk up and then pull him back and treat him. what do you think about that idea.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can relate to what you are saying. We are going through the same thing with Dexter. He is the most calm dog until we have friends or people around. Then he becomes so excited and wants to jump on everyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am having the same problem with Sammy. But he jumps on us as well. Everytime I am sitting he runs and leaps up on me and then with a toy in his mouth he will just half stand and half lay on my playing with his toy. If company comes over its a fight~ I do crate him when he gets to riled up. I hope its just a phase!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Sammy8myshoe said:
I am having the same problem with Sammy. But he jumps on us as well. Everytime I am sitting he runs and leaps up on me and then with a toy in his mouth he will just half stand and half lay on my playing with his toy. If company comes over its a fight~ I do crate him when he gets to riled up. I hope its just a phase!
Sammy should not be allowed to jump on your lap if you don't want him to do it to visitors. Can you imagine a 1yr old lab doing that :surprise: hectic!!

Tell Sammy "OFF" sternly and put him back down. If he does again "OFF!!" and put him off your lap. If he doesnt do it again.. praise him! If he does do it again I'd crate him for 2 - 5 mins time out.

--- We have taught Milly to sit or get a toy from her toy box when visitors come around. The sit was taught as Dani described. Leashed her and trod on the leash. The toy part was unexpected, when Milly holds a toy she's not a jumper. Solution was to teach her to grab a toy and greet the front door/visitor with the toy

This all took ALOT of training... and I mean... like 6 MONTHS of training. Consistent, Every Day when Dave got home, EVERY time a visitor came by... etc etc.... Our friends and family were happy to oblige, they knew it would result in a 30kg adult lab not jumping on them! :laugh:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dont let him sit on me and play with the toy, I will push him off me and tell him Down. He understands this because I use it with furniture (the coffee table!!) as well and he instantly get down. He does sit but having the toy in his mouth does not ever stop him from jumping because he will just jump up with the toy. I cant let him sit on my lap anyway because when he gets hyper he nips and I dont want my face that close to him for it would give him a chance to nip.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Sammy8myshoe said:
I dont let him sit on me and play with the toy, I will push him off me and tell him Down. He understands this because I use it with furniture (the coffee table!!) as well and he instantly get down. He does sit but having the toy in his mouth does not ever stop him from jumping because he will just jump up with the toy. I cant let him sit on my lap anyway because when he gets hyper he nips and I dont want my face that close to him for it would give him a chance to nip.
down or off - both are good command words for what you are trying to achieve. It sounds like you really are doing well with Sammy, he is only 4 months old and he will continue to test his boundaries... just like kids I guess that some puppies just need a firmer hand than others. Persistency, patience and consistency will definitely get you results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hiya, i'm having the same at the moment too - Bailey is now 6 months and is so happy when people come round it's like she's going to explode with excitement! I have started leashing her and am hoping that will help, but at the moment she seems to get more hyper if i hold her back? Once the visitors are in and have removed shoes etc or any possible bailey play things, then i let her go and she grabs her toys and waddles round like a duck for a bit :laugh: - no one touches or makes any fuss until all 4 paws are on the floor and any jumping results in us turning and ignoring her. The good thing is she does settle within a couple of minutes so i guess i'm on the right track? I'm hoping with time and lots of consistency she will be calm when people come round :happy:
good luck with stopping the little jumpers everyone! :happy:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hiya,
I don't have that problem anymore inside only outside if you see my new post. But what we did to get Trevi to stop inside was just have people turn their backs to her. Same with us she NEVER jumps on us because we started that as a tiny little puppy that we wouldnt even look at her until she was sitting and NOT jumping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts