Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday was the World Jr gold medal hockey game Canada vs the USA. Which was a excellant game and congratulations to team USA. There was an interesting article in the paper today. This reporter could hardly find any mention of this win in any US paper. I know Canadian's are really crazy about hockey but Is hockey really this unpopular in the US?

http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/joe_warmington/2010/01/07/12374331-sun.html

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I had never heard of the World Jr's until I started dating my husband.

It was a great game. My son was very mad at me that team USA won. I'm not sure what I had to do with the win, but it was funny. ;)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
It was an excellent game. We watched it, and probably still have a majority of the tournament on the DVR (along with the World U17 Challenge tournament). Hockey is definitely not the most popular sport in the US, but it does have its following. Most sports in the US have youth leagues, high school, college, minor, and pro. Hockey has so many levels/divisions that it is confusing to people that don't follow it closely. Hockey has youth leagues, but the number of divisions/levels within the leagues is mind-boggling. As they get older kids can play for their high school, but also have the option of playing AAA/Travel/B/in some areas C. Throwing in the extra level of Juniors just complicates it more. We used to have a Junior team in town, and IMO it is some of the best, most physical hockey. I LOVE IT! Living in the US, I couldn't tell you how many Junior teams there are around here because the kids that talk about playing Juniors . . . all plan to go to Canada.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Hockey is popular depending on where you live. I live in SE Michigan so it's very popular here. Can you say Hockeytown?
Only the ppl in Detroit call it HOckeytown. lol

Most ppl in the US only follow NHL hockey. Although, cities with some sort of league hockey usually do follow that league. But they miss the nitty gritty good hockey at the jr level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.