Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else's job slowing down? I know there have been all sorts of layoffs but what about the ones that are still working. Can you tell any difference?

No layoffs here but it is slow....heck it's been that way since Aug.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
No slow down here... but I work at a university.

We did have to reduce our budget by 10% but we save mucho dollars every year because we haven't hired a real director in four years. (our assistant director is serving as "interim")

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yes, it is much slower. I am in the construction field. Underground utilities. We have work, but its the funding from the lenders that's slow........The best thing about our work is that we are the first ones in and the first ones paid :)

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Only slightly in one division. We have been asked to cut our spending as far as donations, lunches on the company credit card, etc. Stuff like that. Every one in the plant is still working, no layoffs.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Was slow. Starting to bubble now, though. We're tied to the banking/credit industries. As they're starting to break free w/budgets, so are we.....

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Just ever so slightly, but not enough to cause more than a brief blip. Mostly due to customers reassessing what is critical & non-critical projects.

The company I work for does after-market repairs & parts supply for power segment companies. Think along the lines of Exelon, Con-Ed, S. Cal Edison, Detriot Edison, Reliant, etc. as well as chemical, paper and refining companies.

Right we are doing pretty good overall because alot of the big power, chemical, refining companies are opting to repair or replace parts, in lieu of new equipment. In monetary figures you could be looking at $1,000,000 in repairs & new parts for a steam turbine rotor compared to $5,000,000 for an entirely new steam turbine rotor.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Jason is busier right now, but they are very understaffed at the moment due to people leaving on their own accord (new jobs, retirement). He is key personnel at the air force base here so his job should be pretty stable as long as the base is here.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I could only hope it would slow down! Mine is one of the few jobs that only gets busier during a recession, now the hospital as a whole will take a hit- but our non pay rate is already 60%, and I expect it will increase.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
We had some impact in sales through the last few months of our fiscal year, but things are picking up a little now. We are cautiously optimistc at the moment.

I have had to trim labor usage in all my stores - we are down between 5 and 20% depending on the store. I also am (via attrition) downgrading some salaried positions to hourly. That is a bit of a longer term plan - only one position is changing in the near term.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I work in a large law office.

They cut about 3 managerial positions; restaffed those positions with currrent staff.

No more layoffs, but no hiring.

Cut back on staff "perks"...we usually have a gathering w/great snacks on Wed. Did not happen.

Large lunch outside of the office on Friday. This year it will be held in our lobby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts