Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've started looking at all of the equipment that need for the baby. Holy cow, it's a lot of stuff! I think we're set on stroller, car seat, nursery furniture, swing but I'm not sure about the highchair. Anyone have recommendations or ones that they don't recommend? TIA!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I'm not a mom. But we had a high chair in our kitchen for something like 12 years straight.

It's an absolute necessity.

Without one, how will the dogs know where to park themselves to catch all the toddler-throwins'?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I'm not a mom either, but...

We have this one. It is very easy to clean, adjustable height, and easy to roll from room to room, with the kid strapped in, which comes in very handy if you are cooking, cleaning etc.

http://www.booninc.com/products/Flair/702

Both the grandmas have this one. It does not roll around well at all, but is not too heavy so you can pick it up and carry it - just not with the kid in it.

http://www.gracobaby.com/Catalog/Pages/ProductListingPage.aspx?catID=10:42||1&subCatID=11:10442||1&pID=10434:4294959405||1#/1835

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
We just had a basic Graco one. We almost never used our highchair. We got a booster seat for the table and let them sit with us once they were about 12 months or so.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Both the grandmas have this one.

I second the notion that duplicates at Grams is a good idea. Even the best-designed, most (supposedly) convenient ones are an effort to lug around. And considering what ELSE you've got to bring for a visit, it was nice not to have to also toss the H.C. on top of the car, which already looked like the opening credits to "The Beverly Hillbillies" with what we were carting around.

My God.

Maple and I agreed on something.

Cue the four horsemen. The apocalypse is upon us.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

My God.

Maple and I agreed on something.

Cue the four horsemen. The apocalypse is upon us.
I think that happens once per year, so we are set for 2010.:)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
We have this one and so does the sitter
http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=179&pfid=95
I like it you can adust the height if you need to, it folds up, and it is on rollers to move around easily. It's also not terribly expensive. We have a travel booster seat I like a lot for taking to grandparents or even restraunts that straps to a chair and has it's own tray. We actually use it at home now because Aubrey prefers sitting at the table with us.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Do you really need a highchair for an infant? I wasn't going to buy one until baby was about 5-6 months of age.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Do you really need a highchair for an infant? I wasn't going to buy one until baby was about 5-6 months of age.
We got ours at our shower before they arrived, but I didn't use it until the boys started sitting up at 3 1/2-4 months.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
We used my brother's old wooden high chair from 1980 for Riley, so I can't answer that question. But as far as what to keep at grandma's house - my mom has something similar to this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2861764 Straps to a regular kitchen chair so it only takes up space when they actually need it.

My brother and his wife have this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2306580 It's awesome! They take it with them when they go out to eat so they don't have to use restaurant high chairs.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I don't remember which one I had for my boy, we gave it away several months ago but I picked out one that was easy to clean. I like the ones where I can take out the chair liner and throw it in the wash with the towels. Also I liked the feature of different positions, so when he was just learning to eat I could lean it back just a touch to make it easier to aim the spoon.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all! Definitely some good ones to check out this weekend. Definitely going to get one for my parents' house as well--between the dogs' stuff and the baby's stuff, we're going to have a full car. And certainly one that we can pretty much hose off! Allie-We won't use it for awhile, but it's a good gift for people to purchase (so I'm told), especially if a few people want to get a gift together.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
We have one like Barb's. We got it as a shower gift We don't use it much, because we don't eat at the table very often.. At Grandma's we use a secondhand Ikea HC.

We started on solids at about 5 1/2 months, so that's when you need a chair (when you start solids).

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'd wait to get a high chair until you can sit your little one in it. Our first high chair was highly recommended but it wasn't proportioned right and it was bulky and hard to clean. Our second one (for the other half of the twin) fit perfectly and was cheap and a joy to use.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Something like this is great
http://www.highchairs.com/Stokke-Tripp-Trapp.pro#pp-tabs

Fully adjustable, grows with your child, natural wood, doesn't take up entire kitchen like the big plastic ones, allows you to pull baby in to the table to eat with the family, something I have always found very important. Or, there is a tray, for times when baby is dining alone.

I also used a wooden highchair given to me by my mil, similar to the one Allie posted, but it was Steve's when he was a beebee =)

These are essential for travelling (not just this one, but any booster. I just like this one ;) )
http://www.nurtured.ca/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=285

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Well I have just been through this....

I ended up withut a high chair as it is just another thign to trip over. I used a Bumbo seat
http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=bumbo&origkw=bumbo&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2255957&sr=1
once she was able to sit up and this worked great. I could put it right on the counter top to feed her or while my parents and I were eating, on the table with us. We used the tray and put toys or whatever on it as she nurtsed exclusive till about 6 1/2 months. Once she was eating it was great as it was a good height for feeding.

Once she outgrew that I moved to a booster seat (probably septemberish and she's 13 months now)that attaches to one of the chairs and she eats with us - the food is usually on her tray but she is part of the table if that makes sense.

As for the other equipment - I had her furniture and i bought a crib that will last a lifetime as it goes to a bed after. A car seat is a must and i had an extra base so I coudl just snap and go in mine or my parents van. That was about it. I woudl hold off on the swing until yo can try one out - some babies hate it! Addison would scream as she knew it would put her to sleep and she fights sleep. The jolly jumper was great, and later I bought and exersaucer (walkers are illegal here but she uses one at my sisters that has been well cared for over the years lol!).

REally the bumbo was the greatest and easy to grab and go anywhere.

A must have is a silicone bib for when they start solids. I'm trying to think of other lifesavers that I loved!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'd wait to get a high chair until you can sit your little one in it. Our first high chair was highly recommended but it wasn't proportioned right and it was bulky and hard to clean. Our second one (for the other half of the twin) fit perfectly and was cheap and a joy to use.

Ditto.. I couldn't decide on a high chair when I registered. I didn't really know what I liked/didn't like when looking at all of them. I decided to wait because it wasn't something we needed right away anyway. We had enough gift cards to purchase one after Connor got here. It was awesome as we took him with us and I picked out a few I thought were nice and then we set him in each one. I was able to narrow it down fast.

·
Registered
621 Posts
None. They take up way too much space. We got a Fisher Price Booster Seat. We also used a Bumbo until she was older enough to sit on her own - then straight to the booster seat. It has a snap off plastic tray and is way easy to clean.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts