Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess most of y'all have either read my post about my impending grandbaby and how to socialize Sally (who has issues with small children) with the child. If you haven't, then please do, because I'm not going to put it all here again.

And I truly thank everyone for your input and suggestions. And yes, I thank you, too, Melissa, for your opinion and suggestion. I have the utmost respect for you as a breeder and as a lab expert.

One of the main reasons I have been on this board is (I'll be honest here) to brag on my dog's achievements in dock diving and to show off their pics. I'm very proud of them and their hard work and their accomplishments in their sport. And y'all have given me every impression that you enjoy hearing about them and seeing their pics.

But I could not now, in good conscience, post about Sally's achievements and brag on her knowing there are people here (yes people, because if Melissa feels I should euthanize Sally, then others do also but just won't say it) who think I'm an irresponsible dog owner for not euthanizing her.

Please don't think I'm crying sour grapes and taking my toys and going home. I'm not. I asked for y'all's opinions and I got them. I honestly could never again post here anything about Sally. I would feel way too self-conscious.

And for the record, she has never hurt anyone....never, and I would never, *ever*, *EVER* let her.

Anyway, JL, in the words of Carol Burnette.....thanks for the memories....

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I dont think you are irresponsible, if you were you wouldn't even have asked for the advice. I hope this isnt a goodbye message from you, i am only just new to the board and love reading your posts and see the pics. I am sure that Sally will be a model dog around your soon to arrive grandchild - because you wont let her be anything but that. When i was pregnant everyone told me i should get rid of my dog, she was big and fiercesome looking, and sure, she would bark if people she didnt know came to the house, but she never hurt my daughter, she would sleep under her pram or by her playpen. My daughter did get hurt by a dog, but it was the supposed 'teddy bear' of the family (albeit accidently). Please dont say goodbye.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Crap I seriously hope you are not leaving!! I love seeing and hearing about Sally and the gang! I for one do not think you are being irresponsible, you are trying to do the right thing, you said the baby would never be left alone or around Sally if there appeared to be any problems. Not sure why anyone would think you would ever put your grandchild in danger!! Please don't leave, keep posting pictures of Sally and her achievements- crud crud crud!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Nancy, please don't leave, you are one of the main ppl i look for when i log on ................i love reading about sally, hoppy badger and spud.....................one persons opinion is just that one persons opinion ............. i doubt very seriously that anyone else thinks that is the responsible thing to do ............all the other advice is very sound and responsible .......................................please just stick around for all of us that need advice cause we are so new at this lab thing

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Please don't leave; I agree, by asking for advise it proves you're not irresponsible. Never in a million years would I think you would put your grandchild in danger. There are many other options than the one Melissa suggested (and please know I do not agree her on the subject). My trainer, who is a behaviorist as well, offers a course on how to introduce dogs to babies and get them used to a new situation. Perhaps there is someone in your area who offers something similar.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Holy cow. I guess I missed that part of your post. Will have to go look.
I will say that I had a very grumpy terrier when I had my third child. He did not like children. I had to close him in one of the bedrooms when my kids had friends over. But he was part of the family and I took extra precautions with him while DD was small. And we managed just fine.
Don't let one person's opinion chase you away. It is after all, only their opinion. You know your dogs best.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Please don't leave. I love your stories. Your solution for Sally and your upcoming grandchild is workable.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Who give a **** what she thinks! Don't leave because of what "she" would do. She is not the rest of us. Yes, she shows dogs but that doesn't mean she has the experience some others here have with dogs. Get your butt back here and post what and when you want.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
One person's opinion shouldn't count for much, especially someone who jumps to conclusions. I'm happy for your up and coming grandbaby. How exciting for you, that's something I'll never get to experience so I love hearing about experiences from others. You have got to be one of the most responsible dog owners on here, and never in a million years would any of us who have watched you and your experiences would think that you would in any way endanger anyone with your dogs especially a baby. That being said, I am hoping like hell you don't leave this forum. I have fallen in love with your Hoppy, Spuds, Sally and ole Badger. Please do not let anyone chase you away. I want to continue with the Dock dogs saga and baby stories, and I think I can say I speak for a lot of us on here. {{{HUGS}}} I'm sorry that person offended you.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Don't let one person push you away.

I read through the other thread. For the most part you got excellent advice. Take from it what you need to work with Sally. You know your dogs better than any person on this board. You know how to handle Sally and what you will need to do to get her used to the baby, or if she can't, to crate her and keep her away from the baby.

Hate to lose you, I always enjoy your photos of the dock dog crew.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Who give a **** what she thinks! Don't leave because of what "she" would do. She is not the rest of us. Yes, she shows dogs but that doesn't mean she has the experience some others here have with dogs. Get your butt back here and post what and when you want.
:clap2: couldnt have put it better myself.
In addition to my original response, you cant go, we want to hear the storys about your new (and first)grandchild, and see the pics!!

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I'm really surprised you are leaving over what Melissa told you she would do.

What I did not say - I had a dog who attacked me as a 6 year old child. He bit me without doing major damage 3-4 times before he tried to take my face off. I had stiches in my face and scars to this day. And it did not make me afraid of dogs. I LOVED him and I was heartbroken when my parents sent him to the farm.

What happened was largely due to my parents ignorance of dog behavior. He was not a dog who should have been around children. People did not train their dogs back then or take them to behaviorists. He should have been dealt with or removed the first time he bit me.

My advice to you was exactly what I meant. I did not, nor would I suggest that you euthanize Sally. She clearly brings you a lot of pleasure. But - I also would not expect that you will be able to change her attitude towards children dramatically. Thus my suggestion that you crate her when your grandchild is mobile.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I had typed up a great big reply, but it got lost in the web...doh. Then I thought about posting this privately, since it seems its directed at me.

I hope you don't think I was saying I thought you would intentionally endanger a child. And I'm sorry you feel the need to leave based on my comment. But that said, I will not take them back, and it doesn't bother me in the least if others don't agree with me.

I was coming at you from a different side. When I was 6 years old, I was attacked by my grandmother's beloved Bess, a young collie. I still have the very visible scars that that attack left behind. But more than the scars it left on my skin, it was a tough road for me to travel to see that dogs can be trusted. I have a 9" scar on my left shoulder blade, I have zero nerve endings in this area. I have radiating neck pain and a scar where the dog tried to rip my nose off.

Bess was a good girl, and was on a leash when she did it. I'll never forget the day my parents told my grandmother we would no longer be visiting grandma because she refused to do anything about Bess.

Not for a minute do I think you would intentionally hurt your grandbaby, but sometimes things happen. And you can't always control them.

I do love reading your exploits, about Hoppy and his weight loss, Badger and his coming around to being a house dog, Sally and her jolly ball and dock diving, Spud and his new place on the couch.

Whenever we post something on these boards, people are forming an opinion of us and our dogs. We all do it, regardless of whether we want to or not. Sometimes the opinion is right, sometimes we realize (as I've learned my lessons trusting people I shouldn't before) that people aren't how they come off online at all. I never made any assumption of you as a bad or irresponsible dog owner. Not even with the most recent post. You were simply asking for an opinion and I gave mine.

Can you rehab Sally? I certainly hope so. She's a beautiful girl, and as we've discussed privately before, special to me because of her relationship to my Owee. Prove me wrong.

I do not want you to leave the board. And selfishly, I do not want to feel responsible for you leaving the board.

And you are all very right. The fact that I show my dogs and bred a litter of puppies makes me no more qualified to give advice than the rest of you.

That said, I do stand by my opinion. Perhaps I hold my own dogs to a higher standard than others in this regard. But my dogs are allowed on the couch, so you can see we differ in opinion. One's not right, one's not wrong; but its never going to be the same for everything. Agree to disagree?

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I didn't read all the Grandbaby post because I have never had small children around dogs and didn't feel I had any advice to add. But I will be very sad if you leave the forum because you feel that you can't post about Sally - I LOVE your pics of her dock diving.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
FWIW, I do more reading here than posting.......I enjoy your posts and pictures immensely. I went back to that thread and read Melissa's post and honestly..she was just saying what she would do.........she worded it not in a bitchy or bossy way, I just wouldn't let something like that keep me from enjoying this forum. I DO hope you will reconsider.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oh, please don't leave. I know I don't post too much, but seeing your posts and pics of the dock-diving and the exploits of your gang are one of the best things on this board. From what I see from your posts, you are a very dedicated and responsible dog owner. Like others said, you asked for advice so that alone shows your dedication.

Congrats on the grandbaby :). I'm sure you can find a good solution that works with the baby and the dogs in general.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts