Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

If you're reading this message, then that means the forum is up and running again! We're now running the newest version of the software which this forum operates on. You should see some speed improvements as well as some neat new features from the upgrade. If you are curious about some of the features of the new software, you can check out this page for a full list: http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features .

Unfortunately, the theme we were using on the VBulletion 3.8 forum is not compatible with VBulletion 4.0, so I still need to work on getting it converted. Rather than leave the forum shut down while I work on that, I thought it'd be best to re-open it to minimize overall downtime.

Thanks!
Ari

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Can we get the thread navigation tools we had back? There is now no easy way to return to a forum after reading a thread. Navigation bars at top and bottom of the page are really useful. Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can we get the thread navigation tools we had back? There is now no easy way to return to a forum after reading a thread. Navigation bars at top and bottom of the page are really useful. Thanks.
Can you give me a little more information about which navigation tools are missing? I didn't remove any on purpose, and can't seem to find any which dropped by mistake. Thanks!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
YES PLEASE! I don't like it already. :(

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
In the Quick Navigation - we could just click GO to the right and go back to whichever forum we were in, without having to scroll through everything.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Can you give me a little more information about which navigation tools are missing? I didn't remove any on purpose, and can't seem to find any which dropped by mistake. Thanks!
In the old style, we had a quick navigation bar at the top and bottom of the page. So. if you were in O&E, all you had to do was hit go if you were at the bottom of the page and it took you back to O&E without having to scroll through a bunch of stuff to get there. You have it at the top of the page, now we just need it repeated at the bottom. You'll see it up there right below the blue bar - see the little home icon, then "Forum - Other - Odds & Ends - JL Forum Software Upgraded Successfully :)"

Having this makes navigating much easier. If it's only at the top, then one needs to scroll all the way to the top to navigate. Pain in the butt!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm - there is a quick navigation at the bottom already:
quick-navigation.jpg

Is that what you're looking for? Or are you talking about the "Bread Crumbs" ? (i.e. the "Forum > Other > Odds & Ends")

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
The "Bread Crumbs". That other quick navigation tool is not so quick. "Bread Crumbs" is faster and involves one click to return to the sub-forum being read.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah... There weren't actually any breadcrumbs at the bottom of the 3.8 version of the forum though?

old-footer.jpg

Either way I will investigate to see if its possible / how difficult it would be to add them in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ditto on both counts...or I guess all three. I was kinda getting bored with the old theme.
Thanks! I'm glad that you've noticed the speed increases already! It's always hard to estimate how fast something will be in the "live" - I definitely saw the speed increases when testing on my local computer though.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
i think what he wants is it you hit odds and ends it takes you back to the main odds and ends page rather than the option of moving to another forum page....did that make sense? lol
it's working good for me though. 2 clicks and i'm back where i want to be.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Can you make it so that once we submit a post, it takes us to the first page of the forum we were in, instead of to our post?

·
Registered
903 Posts
The button used to be 'Go' at the bottom of the screen to go back to the forum. Now it's 'Top' and does something else.

Is there any way to hide the Quick Reply box at the bottom? We did have that ability in the last version.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Ah... There weren't actually any breadcrumbs at the bottom of the 3.8 version of the forum though?

View attachment 2631

Either way I will investigate to see if its possible / how difficult it would be to add them in.
Sorry, I'm thinking of another forum that has the bread crumbs at bottom. If we could get what we had at the old version, where you simply hit "Go" and were back to the sub-forum, it would be great.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Like the new changes but agree, we need the Quick Navigation panel to lose the TOP button and give us back the GO button. The function of the GO button was to take you back to the entire forum thread (i.e., Lab Chat) not just to the top of the thread we were currently viewing. It makes navigation much much quicker. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
More smilies? Seriously, when can we get more? Other VBulletin Forums I belong to have tons of them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts