1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

CHICKEN SOUP

1 large chicken – use one cut in eighths

Vegetables Preparation:

Soup Greens: You can buy packaged "soup greens." (If it includes a potato – take it out)

I prefer to buy the soup greens separately:

1 leek– rinse and trim off dry or discolored ends of leaves and cut leek in half or thirds. If you can't find a leek – use an extra onion)
4 ribs celery – rinse and remove leafy parts, trim ends and cut into half or thirds
curley parsley – use about 1/3 to 1/2 package
dill weed – use about 1/3 to 1/2 package

Make a double thick square out cheesecloth – probably about 12” or 14.” Put the cut leek, celery, parsley and dill on cheesecloth and tie cheesecloth into a pouch by tying two opposite corners together first – then other opposite corners on top of first knot and continue to try to overlap and tie corner ends to enclose the vegetables so they don’t fall out during cooking.

Additional veges:

1 large onion -peel and trim off stem end – leave whole
5-6 Carrots - scrape clean, and cut carrots in halves
2 white parsnips – scrape as you would a carrot and trim thin slice off ends
1 large turnip – scrub with vegetable brush and thinly slice off ends

Put chicken into large pot and cover chicken with cold water + about an inch or two more water

Bring to low simmer – do NOT boil. After a few minutes “foamy” stuff will start to rise to the top. Skim it off with large spoon – otherwise you will have “cloudy” soup. This takes a while and you’ll have to stir the pot a few times to bring more of the stuff to the surface. Get off as much out as you can without making yourself crazy or taking too much time with it (about 15 minutes should do it).

Add the vegetables: The whole cheesecloth pouch and the onions, carrots, parsnip, turnip.

Add seasonings: salt, white pepper (you can use black), celery salt, onion powder, 2-4 chicken boullion cubes

Cover pot and let simmer for about 1 – 1½ hours. Taste after about first 45 minutes and adjust seasonings if more are needed. You can add a small can of plain chicken broth at this time for flavor.

Test chicken for doneness after about 1½ hours. It should be fork tender and the vegetables should also be soft by this time. If you are adding another small can of chicken broth, do it now. Continue cooking if necessary, testing every 15 minutes – you don’t want the chicken to get so soft that it falls off the bones.

When chicken and vegetables are soft, remove all from pot except carrots. Strain soup.

You can eat as is or add noodles or matzoh balls. I don’t know how to make them from scratch, I buy the Matzoh Ball Mix from any supermarket.

Also – the chicken that you've had in the soup is delicious. The color may look "yellow" because it wasn't baked or broiled, but taste it – it is amazing! We always have that for our dinner when I've cooked soup.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Re: Jewish Chicken Soup

I'm so excited to try this!

About the matzoh balls...do you make them separately and then put them in the soup right before you eat it? Or do they have to simmer in the soup for awhile?

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Jewish Chicken Soup

You could prepare them (follow box directions) while the soup is cooking. Once the soup is done and the chicken and veges out, you should put the matzoh balls in for a bit so they soak up the soup flavor. You really can't put them in with all the other stuff - there will be no room in the pot.

Also - be sure to buy the correct mix. There is Matzoh Ball Mix (what you want) and Matzoh Ball and Soup Mix - which you don't need, 'cos you've got the soup part covered!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts