Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Old Testament times, the priest would bring bulls, goats or a spotless lamb without any blemishes to be sacrificed as a sin offering for himself and for the people. The blood would purify and make atonement (forgive, make amends) for their sins. This was the old order of atonement. When Jesus came, He was a representation of the sacrificial lamb to take away the sins of the world. He was the final sacrifice. We no longer have to sacrifice animals to make atonement for our sins. Jesus has done this once and for all. It’s His blood that cleanses us from all sin. He was crucified on the cross (the form of execution in those days). The sin of the world was upon Him, yet He was without sin and blameless. He bore it all. This is why Jesus is referred to as the ‘Lamb of God’. He was bodily resurrected (came back to life) on the third day. He appeared to many – eating and drinking with them. He appeared to them for 40 days, then ascended (went up to) Heaven.

I got the above off of the following website, where there is some awesome Easter Poems:
http://www.heavensinspirations.com/easter-poems.html

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Thank you for posting that, this reminds me to explain the true meaning of Easter to my DD. It's easy to forget what we're celebrating when you're decorating the eggs and putting together the baskets and stuff.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
RELIGIOUS CONTENT? NOOOOO..... I can't taketh it. My eyeballs are burning.... my monitor is smoking.... NOT RELIGIOUS CONTENT..... I'm melting..... I'm melllllttinnnngggg.....

I thought this was asking why he was called the Lamb of God.

So, how ya doin? Any good Easter plans? ;D

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I'm going to be a bakin' fool here, until Saturday. Then I get to rest until we go to Granny's. I'm getting tired just thinking about the clean up. :p

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Nice post. :) I like making the Easter cookie recipe with the boys to explain to them the real reason for Easter. The Easter bunny is fun and all, but I like for them to know there's more to the holiday than that. Same reason we make cupcakes for Jesus' birthday at Christmas. :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tis the reason for the season :)

dweck said:
Our choir does an AWESOME anthem by Twila Paris called "The Lamb of God."
I LOVE that song Dan! The pastor at my old church back in Michigan was a huge Twila Paris fan so when they started a contemporary band for one service, Twila Paris songs were played often :)

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Good thing he wasn't the seal of God, Canadians would have clubbed him and sold his pelt.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
JollyMolly said:
The best thing I have used to explain to little kids the Easter story is Resurrection Eggs.
You can see them here:
http://www.amazon.com/Resurrection-Eggs-Familylife/dp/1572297220

They are made by Family Life:
http://www.familylife.com/

If you dont want to buy them, or wouldnt be able to get them in time, you can make your own:
http://www.easyfunschool.com/article2110.html
Those are adorable. I'll go by our Christian supply store in town and see if they have any. If not, I'll make them. :) This recipe is what we usually do, but the eggs seem like they're a lot more hands-on.

1 c whole pecans
1 tsp vinegar
3 egg whites
pinch of salt
1 c sugar
ziploc bag
wooden spoon
tape
Bible

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Place the pecans in the baggie and let the child beat them with the wooden spoon to break them into pieces. Explain that after Jesus was arrested, He was beaten by the Roman soldiers. *Read John 19:1-3*

Put the vinegar into a mixing bowl. Let each child smell the vinegar. Explain that when Jesus was on the cross and he became thirsty, He was offered vinegar to drink. *Read John 19:28-30*

Add the egg whites to the vinegar. The eggs represent life. Explain that Jesus gave His life so that we could have life. *Read John 10:10-11*

Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hand and let them taste it. Put the rest into the bowl. Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus' followers, and the bitterness of our own sin. *Read Luke 23:27*

So far the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1 cup of sugar. Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us. He wants us to know and belong to Him. *Read Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16*

Beat the egg whites with a mixer on high speed for 12 to 15 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Explain that the color white represents the purity in god's eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus. *Read Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3*

Fold in the broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto a wax paper cookie sheet. Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus body was laid to rest. *Read Matthew 27:57-60*

Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven off. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the door. Explain that Jesus tomb was sealed. *Read Matthew 27:65-66*

Go to bed. Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight and that Jesus followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed. *Read John 16:20-22*

On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. the cookies are hollow! On the first Easter, Jesus followers were amazed to find his tomb empty. *Read Matthew 28: 1-9*

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the wonderful reminder for Easter. :angel:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks Laurie and Gail! I printed out the eggs instructions from the link and the cookie recipe.

Gail- are the cookies tasty?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts