Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are your dogs desperately jealous when you give one more attention than the other? Teddy always seems happy with what he gets, and while he isn't starved for affection, he will let you know if he wants extra love. My Boston girls, on the other hand, have a very jealous rivalry between them.

Ivy strained her shoulder doing who knows what yesterday...Denny was home but didn't notice anything unusual. She was OK when I left and limping and miserable when I came home. She is almost too big for me to lift easily and carry around (28 lbs) but was really enjoying being coddled and fussed over...I would carry her to her food bowl, water, outside...you get the idea. After a few days of rest and baby aspirin she will be back to normal.

Emily was OK when I came home but when I sat down on the couch with Ivy in my lap (not an unusual occurence) she settled at the far end on top of the back of the sofa and would not let me touch her. She screeches like a banshee whenever Denny or I try to pick her up (she has issues jumping up on our bed at night). She ALWAYS dives under the covers and settles by my feet...she moved to the very end of the bed, on top of the covers, her back to me. I am amazed at how sulky she is. She even peed on the floor out of spite and while she woke me up at 4 whimpering to get back on the bed, would hardly let me touch her to do so.

I dread to think of how she will react when a baby comes home...she is just going to have to get over herself!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
You sure there isn't something else going on, Allie?

That being said, Tucker is Mr. Jealous. If we are giving Macy or Frankie some lovins, he runs over from wherever he is and pushes them aside and sticks his face right in ours. It's pretty comical actually.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Our 6lb little ****, Bear, gets VERY jealous whenever our lab Chelsea gets near Shannon... As for our new baby, Bear or our cats don't seem to care. Chelsea loves Brayden and likes to be right near us when we're feeding him. When he's sleeping, she'll sneak up to our room to sleep right next to him in the bassinet. She was also the same way with Dallas...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Maggie is the same way with jealousy. If I pet one of the cats - man, she is right in there with her face or butt to get in the middle of it all! If I pick up one of the cats she is begging to be picked up too (yeah right!) She is sitting pretty or twirrlling in circles, wagging her tail, smiling! Making a silly out of herself to make me laugh and give her attention. But....when we go to the dog park, she is not jealous of me petting the other dogs---she is all about playing ball and sniffing other dogs.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Bunker is our jealous dog. She is not at all jealous of the attention we give Darby, who was her littermate, but if Chauncy is getting special attention she gets pissed. She's got a death stare that lets you know exactly what she's thinking. She'll share toys or a favorite place on the couch with Darby, but not with Chauncy. If Chauncy tries to play with her, she just drops the toy and walks away.

She's an incredibly loving dog with people but she's pretty much a ***** when it comes to poor Chauncy.

And she holds a grudge.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Dio gets jealous when I give other dogs affection at our home. Especially Diesel, our friends' rottieX. Diesel loves affection, is very calm. If Dio sees me petting Diesel, he tries to get in between, or else cries and barks! Pretty funny, but I hope that it doesn't escalate to aggression or anything. He's used to having me all to himself at home, or at least, sharing me with my fiance!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I not sure if mine are jealous, its more like: oh, mom is giving affection, I better squeeze in and get my share.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Cinnamon is not so much jealous of Cierra as she wants all of Cierra's attention. So if you are loving Cierra Cinnamon will come up and shove her way in.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You sure there isn't something else going on, Allie?

That being said, Tucker is Mr. Jealous. If we are giving Macy or Frankie some lovins, he runs over from wherever he is and pushes them aside and sticks his face right in ours. It's pretty comical actually.
Emily is extremely neurotic, to say the least. I think it's the fact that I was carrying Ivy more than anything...Emily loves to be carried. She's much more managable at 18 lbs, too.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Kodi is super jealous. She will butt in whenever anyone else is near me on the couch. She wants every part of her body touched all the time. Hoss wants attention, but is willing to wait for an opportunity. He is submissive to his sister Kodi. Belle will occaisonally ask for attention, but for the most part could care less...unless you have treats in your pcket, and then she can get downright pushy tryiong to get in your pocket...but it has nothing to do with attention from me.

Concho (a silver lab that comes in for training) is very jealous and VERY pushy about getting it!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Champ is our attention whore. If I even speak to Buddy, Champ comes right over and looks at me as if to say, "Talk to meeeee, Mom, talk to Meeeeee!" If either of us touch Buddy, Champ is right there trying to get the touches. Buddy isn't like that, except for his occasional super-affectionate days when he can't get enough lovin's.

·
Registered
457 Posts
abby is not only jealous of any attention we give max or toby but if max plays with toby she has to butt into that too ...............she is the attention hound here ....................guess she figures she's the oldest so we should love her most .....................

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Zoe's the only dog but we have dogs over here a lot, and we go to other people's homes w/dogs. She could care less.
At the beach, I pet whatever dogs are around and again, she could care less.

I wonder if it's because we did this since she was a puppy.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Bauer isn't jealous, but I think he knows that Lucy (French Bulldog) is. Lucy can't get on the couch by herself, and when Bauer knows that Lucy is watching he will lay all over me and try to sink deeper into the couch . . . very dramatic. Lucy is very jealous, and tries to take all of the attention. If someone is petting Bauer she tries to get in between. It doesn't bother Bauer when she does this, but I swear he tries to lay the attention on very thick when she is around . . . knowing that it bothers her.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Maggie and Daisy being littermates are always in competition of some sort, so yeah you really can't pet one without the other. When the Grandkids are over they pay no attention to the attention given them. When we have a 3rd or 4th dog as house guests then all of them maul me for pettin'. I think the best solution should we have greater than 4 dogs is to hire an octopus for the petting duties.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts