Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quinn is so much further along than Jake even though he's older. lol. He and his darned ADD will add a few more gray hairs before we're done.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
very good! I love the way Jake's tail just seemed to be permanently wagging!! I notice that you say on the video that Quinn is a beginner, how long has she being doing it for? Do you take part in competions or is it just for fun/training? I would love to try Harvey out in something like this, he loves the water and it is something he could probably do even with ED, but i dont know of an organised group in my area that do it. We are surrounded by lakes and last year i did do some work on this with his ball and he was pretty good at bringing it back to me.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Jake's tail is permanently wagging. I should be in the water and used as a rudder, but Jakey does his own thing.

Quinn's only been doing retrieving stuff for about a year.

We do some tests. Jake is 0 for 3 or 4. Quinn has only been in one test and got distracted by the gallery. lol We'll try again this year on both of them but I wouldn't doubt Jake will be 10 or so before he can finally focus enough to actually pass. lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
Enjoyed watching your videos of Jake and Quinn. I had Simon out to do field training yesterday (first time this season). He did really well as we are working on blind retrieves and doubles. He also enjoyed his first water retrieves for the season. I love watching labs do what 'they do best'. Simon has his Junior Hunter title and we are working on a Senior title.

I took Miles along to get use to the sights, sounds, and smells of field training and hunt tests. Introduced him to his first live pigeon. He wasn't quite sure what to do other than 'point'. :)

Let us know how your season goes!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Oh my, I was cracking up watching Jake! That tail of his, going 90 miles and hour, then getting sidetracked just a wee bit before getting the dummy. Quinn sure seems to love retrieving, I see good things in that girl's future, Laura.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Laura ... enjoyed both videos. A serious question then a couple tongue-in-cheek ones. I noticed both Jake and Quinn wearing their collars while retrieving. Particularly so on Jake's, his return line took him through partially submerged branches that a collar could hang on. I realize that you are very close by if either dawg got in trouble but do you take that type of water danger into consideration in selecting training spots or choosing lines? Since we designed and constructed every inch of our 20+ acres of training and hunting waters, there are absolutely no submerged dangers anywhere. Therefore, my dawgs hunt with collars on.

The other two questions pertain to you bird "person". Did they learn to use the Mallard call on their own or did someone actually teach those specific routines? Was the 2nd retrieve for Jake thrown further vertically than horizontally on purpose?

:rofl:

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Laura ... enjoyed both videos. A serious question then a couple tongue-in-cheek ones. I noticed both Jake and Quinn wearing their collars while retrieving. Particularly so on Jake's, his return line took him through partially submerged branches that a collar could hang on. I realize that you are very close by if either dawg got in trouble but do you take that type of water danger into consideration in selecting training spots or choosing lines? Since we designed and constructed every inch of our 20+ acres of training and hunting waters, there are absolutely no submerged dangers anywhere. Therefore, my dawgs hunt with collars on.
Normally I don't actually run them in collars, but I did today mostly because Jake seems to do better while wearing one. I know the log was there and I tried to keep to the side of it to "steer" them both from going over it.

The other two questions pertain to you bird "person". Did they learn to use the Mallard call on their own or did someone actually teach those specific routines?
Hey as long as they make noise so the dog pays attention it's all good. lol

Was the 2nd retrieve for Jake thrown further vertically than horizontally on purpose?
Nope. New thrower though I think we've all done bad tosses in our life. It landed in the water and he retrieved it so that's all I care about. :)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh my, I was cracking up watching Jake! That tail of his, going 90 miles and hour, then getting sidetracked just a wee bit before getting the dummy. Quinn sure seems to love retrieving, I see good things in that girl's future, Laura.
Jake gives me heart attacks with that **** ADD of his. He is a happy boy though, eh? I just can't stay mad at him though when he does something like he does by wagging his tail and slapping the water with it. lol

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Love the videos and I love Jake's wagging tail, he looks so happy. Quinn looks like she is all business, she does well to say she has not been doing it long. I live on the beach and would love to get Gracie and Lola to retrieve like that. Gracie goes out and then it does not take much to distract her...Lola will be new to the water this year, so we will see.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.