Just Labradors banner

Jack may have had a a little seizure

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Lab Dad 
#1 ·
Yesterday evening I shocked the pool. It was up to the high eighties today. Jack retrieved from the yard a few times then into the pool for about a half an hour. Back into the yard for about fifteen minutes. Jack called it off and we went into the house. About a half an hour on the house Wife came home and we started dinner. I was not in the room when she called out Jack was in trouble.

He was not sitting up, but not laying down. Sort of hunched of and frozen in place. He was on the cork floor and had his toes spread and nails set. He was trembling and drooling and looked frightened.

I got a throw rug for him and he tried to move him onto it. When I walked away to get another rug he followed me. He was still trembling but not as much. He jumped up onto the couch but did not stay put. When I headed out to the door, he followed. He was outside for about ten minutes. At the end he threw up. That was about an hour ago. Since then he has been bugging me to feed him dinner in an ever increasing amount of annoyance.

I think this may have been a seisure. A small one. He never collapsed he was lucid, just frozen in place. Petting him and talking to him seemed to help. Not sure if swimming in the pool had anything to do with this or not. This reminds me a little of what happenmed last year.

I am calling the vet on Tuesday.

LD

See less See more
#9 ·
I don't think the shock had anything to do with it. Most of the shocks today, you can swim within 15 minutes.

On a side note... a friend of mine has an older Basenji that has recently been having "small" seizures, with shaking, drooling. She found something on her Basenji list about feeding a raw egg a day to control this. And it worked for her. Her girl is no longer having these episodes. Worth a try. But I think you are wise to have a vet checkup too.

Hugs to Jack.

#11 ·
Aw, Andy. It's probably not hot enough there, but could Jack's event have been heat related? Like heat stroke? Sheamie did that once. Just once, just as you describe Jack's episode.

I hope this is just a one-off for him. You know I'll be following your updates.

Love...

#12 ·
You might also ask about EIC just in case. A lot of vets don't know about EIC but you can now have a test done to see if your lab is affected (or a carrier).

Kelly

#14 ·
Thanks everyone.

Jack is about 12 years old.
His episode started about 6:30p. It lasted for only a few minutes and he was back to himself around 7p and was very annoyed I was not fixing his dinner while I was typing the original post.

I spoke to the vet last night about it. He has no idea what it could be. He did not think the pool chemicals were involved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.