Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate ants even more than I hate pigeons. Now that it's heating up around here, they are looking for cool places to live and apparently it's my kitchen.

Problem is, there isn't a stream of ants coming in that you can really do battle with. It's three ants in the sink, all the time. Kill three. Come back an hour later and there are three more in the sink. Kill three, rinse and repeat.

Everything is clean, I've poured gallons of bleach water down the drain in case they're coming up there. No food or dishes sitting around. Even if I could spray inside without poisoning the dogs, there's nothing to spray cause there are only three of them.

I told the husband that if they don't go away, we're going to have to sell the house.

Any handy hints? I may have to google Heloise.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
I hate them too. We had a few around the kitchen sink and then I noticed a few crawling out from behind the outlet!!

I just put out those ant bait traps...not they best things but I didn't really know what else to do. I didn't want a trail of pepper, cinnamon or whatever they say to use.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
If you mix up a little container of borax and sugar water, that should do it. They will take it back to nest and feed the others.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
We get them every year. Our community is one big ant hill. Ant-B-Gon. It is like crack to ants. I put a few drops on a piece of waxed paper on the floor and the come from all over, hundreds, devouring this stuff which they take back to their colony(ies) where it kills them all. It takes about 3 days of "feeding" them, but it works. the hardest part is not squashing them while they eat. We have tried it all, borax, DE, everything. THIS works, and you don't have to spread or spray anything. They come to the crack.

Here they are last summer, having a snack...yuck

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You took a picture of them??? I will try the Ant-B-Gon; although the need to squash them is going to be very hard to fight. They make me want to scream.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
We get them every year. Our community is one big ant hill. Ant-B-Gon. It is like crack to ants. I put a few drops on a piece of waxed paper on the floor and the come from all over, hundreds, devouring this stuff which they take back to their colony(ies) where it kills them all. It takes about 3 days of "feeding" them, but it works. the hardest part is not squashing them while they eat. We have tried it all, borax, DE, everything. THIS works, and you don't have to spread or spray anything. They come to the crack.

Here they are last summer, having a snack...yuck
I have used something similar. It comes in a dropper bottle that you put on little pieces of paper. Problem is, it attracts them--so your problem might get worse at first. We had ants every spring at our old house. They would come in from underneath the siding and the back door, which was right next to our kitchen. I always sprayed them with vinegar (kills instantly) and then did the outside of the house with Ortho bug spray every month or so. Our new house is brick and the walls are thicker, so no ant problems yet!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Us, too! Found them tooling around the bathroom sink, then a couple of days later the kitchen sink. Little tiny ones. I can't bear to kill them myself, or watch them eat the bait and die, so I bought the Raid one. Little white thing that you set on the counter and it has little holes all around it. Supposedly they go in, eat the bait, and then go out and back to the "farm" and they all die a slow and painful death.

Worked like a charm the first day I had them out. I put 2 in the kitchen and 1 in the bathroom....

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I used bug spray all around the outside of my house and around the inside baseboards in the kitchen. Since then; no more ants.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
They stink so bad when you squash them...it gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Where do you get this Ant-B-Gone, Theresa? We have the same black carpenter ants in the back bathroom. I worry about putting anything on the floor in case the dogs get into it.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
My sister has a hugh Ant problem this is what she said works wonders. Spray all thresholds (windows, doorways, sinks) with windex once every 24 hours, Ants won't cross windex, it won't hurt animals (dogs, cats ect) she will do this for 2 weeks at the start of "Ant season" and she is good to go all year.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
You took a picture of them??? I will try the Ant-B-Gon; although the need to squash them is going to be very hard to fight. They make me want to scream.
I took pictures and some extremely disturbing video to prove to Steve that literally hundreds of ants were invading the kitchen (he was away on business at the time and calling me "hysterical")

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Where do you get this Ant-B-Gone, Theresa? We have the same black carpenter ants in the back bathroom. I worry about putting anything on the floor in case the dogs get into it.

It is everywhere here. Building supply, grocery stores, hardware stores. It's in a small red bottle, only about $3. I like that you don't have to spread it, just put it on the waxed paper & you replenish it as needed then toss it out, so you don't have to worry about pets or kids getting into it after that, like with sprays & powders..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts