Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to offer him to be a research and development dog for companies who claim to have chew-proof dog toys. ;)

This is, after all, the boy who did this to an Extreme Kong ("world's strongest rubber dog toy... three sizes available to satisfy large, tenacious power chewers!" as per their website).

Well, I was out buying food for the boyz this afternoon, and found this toy by West Paw, called Bumi. It's made from "guaranteed tough zogoflex" and "recommended for aggressive chewers, pullers, and fetchers."

Ah ha!! Imagine my joy in finding something that may hold up to the Brudders Goob... or at least, the Black Brudder Goob. After all, it's...

In fact, they are so confident, WestPaw offers a guarantee!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, this is what happened after Ollie had 10 minutes with it, I kid you not.

Needless to say, Bumi is going back to the store tomorrow (along with the other Bumi I bought... I told you I was hopeful...).

Oh lah, Ollie.... now what is Momma gonna find for you boyz to play with??

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
May sound tough, (cause I'm a tough ass) but mine only get toys when I'm playing with them.

They get ropes and nylabones otherwise. If he's destroying them, he wouldn't be playing with them unsupervised, and the minute he chomped, it would be gone. I'd be terrified he'd swallow some.

Is he just supposed to 'play' with them by himself? Or is this while he's playing with you?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This is while he's playing with me. I throw it, he brings it back, chewing the end. I throw it, he brings it back, chewing the end.

I watch him like a hawk, Melissa, as I do both of the boyz when I am with them, and when it got close to separating from the main toy, I took it away and removed the end bit.

So no, he's not being unsupervised, nor is he expected to entertain himself.

I was just surprised that he was able to do that much damage in such a short amount of time, given the claims of the toy manufacturer, and that was the reason for this thread.

The only toys they get while unsupervised (ie in their crates) are nylabones. I don't give rope toys at all because Henery chews them to bits and I worry about blockages.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
If Ollie gets that job maybe he can hire my girls. :D:D I have several Kongs & Nylabones that look like that. I am very limited in what I can buy them. :( Remember, Molly chewed the Orvis no-chew, tough-chew bed.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
OLLIE!!!

wow-zah!

funny, Zoe does not like to chew on rubber. Not one rubber toy is destroyed.
funny how they have their likes & dislikes
Ditto for Baloo, won't touch rubber toys unless it's a ball or a frisbee (and it has to be the right type of rubber, oy!). :D

There's hope though! Baloo used to destroy any toys I gave him for "independent play/cuddling", stuffies were absolutely out of the question. I figured that it would always be that way. BUT he has 'graduated' to the point where we now have lots of stuffies around and he only destroys them occasionally. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bailey has eaten through 2 Kongs...but yet I still bought a new one. I have not found much that is indestructible. The "great for strong chewers" or whatever it says on the package is not true when it comes to my dog!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I feel for you. We are limited as to what we can buy Dozer too. Fortunately I have a cousin with a non-chewing small breed puppy who I can buy cute and fluffy things for. LOL

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
If Ollie starts a company, Chamois can be one of his executive officers - she's right up there with destroying the supposedly indestructable toy. (However, I notice that the toy in question is only replaceable once, indicating that the creators didn't really have that much faith in its durability).

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If Ollie starts a company, Chamois can be one of his executive officers - she's right up there with destroying the supposedly indestructable toy. (However, I notice that the toy in question is only replaceable once, indicating that the creators didn't really have that much faith in its durability).
LOL!! Isn't it funny that they claim that it is guaranteed to last, but yet will offer a one-time replacement? Oh, such irony!

So, Ollie will start his R&D company with Georgie's girls, Molly, Abby and Kate, and with Chamois!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
all i can say is WOW!!!!!!! I've got about 40 stuffies here none of them even have a tiny tear in them. Buck can chew for hours on his nylabone, never hurt a kong like that, well maybe the puppy kong died but WOW thats one powerful jaw!!!!! oh thats it "Jabber Jaws" how does that sound?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
And the funny thing is that Labs should be "soft mouthed" as per the standard description. My two also destroyed a black kong. I don´t leave them any rubber stuff anymore. The only indestructible thing so far are the large heavy nylabones (one called Galileo) that they looove to rub against my legs and rip off my skin, or drop them on my feet and laugh at how I scream

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All I can say is, thank goodness Ollie isn't doing hunt tests. I can only imagine what the duck would look like by the time he brought it back to you :D
LOL!! You know what? He's had birds and for some reason he hasn't done it to the birds (yet... lol). He mouths everything else that he brings back to me but not if it's covered in feathers.

He's such a goob. :)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I won't invest in any more rubber toys until they start labeling them "Ollie-proof!"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.