Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a really stupid thing tonight.

I got in from work at about 3:20 and immediately let the dogs out to pee, We have about an inch or two of 2 day old snow on the ground here and with the plummeting temp today, it had turned the back yard quite icy.

I went out with the dogs and breathed in a bit of fresh air before going upstairs to open up the loft.

Over here the loft is the space in the roof of the house mainy used as storage, sometimes converted into extra living space.

I went up the ladder fine and brought down the christmas decs boxes and the christmas tree box and dropped them to the floor beneath, I then began my decent, after only one step down i lost my footing, i think the sole of my boot was wet from going out in the snow, anyhow, I fell heavily about 2 meters down.

It was the first time ever that I had fallen as an adult to that extreme and it knocked me for six.

I sat for at least 10 minutes in extreme pain and slight panic, not knowing whether or not to move.

My left leg hurt a lot and I remember banging my back on the way down, but my left arm throbbed with an excruciating pain.

I had pins and needles in my left hand and bruisies were appearing on my fingers.

When i eventually managed to get myself up and ring Mark to come home from work he took me to casualty (ER) after a 4 hour wait I had xrays to confirm i'd fractured my left elbow.

It's my first ever plaster of paris so i've done well really in 40 years!

So for the next 6 weeks or so i'm a single handed typer!

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Oh no!! Kate!!! :(

OWEEE!!!!

Hope it heals quickly!! :happy:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry. I understand what you mean about it being scary to fall as an adult. I experienced the same feeling falling in a parking lot a few years ago. Scared the bejezes out of me!

I hope you heal quickly.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Oh no, Kate! I'm so sorry! :( But, I'm glad it was just an arm. You very well could have done really serious damage to yourself. Good thoughts and prayers for a quick healing and that the bumps and bruises that show up later are not too severe.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Oh no Kate! Sending healing thoughts for you.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Healing thoughts for you Kate. 2 meters is a pretty good distance, and you could have gotten hurt worse. Fortunately that was not the case.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I'm so sorry. Hope you don't have any trouble being one handed for a while. Glad nothing else was broken.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
oh you poor thing! that must have taken you forever to type!! see if you can get one of those things where you speak and it types for you. heehee! i hope you got some good pain meds, too.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Ouch ! That's not good

I was thinking this morning how easy it would be for me to break a limb !

Our footpaths down here are iced over and even though the dogs are relatively good to walk on the lead, a sudden jerk on the lead would have me on the floor !

I wouldn't have thought that the snow would cause a fall indoors though ! That's plain bad luck Kate.

·
Registered
89 Posts
OMG I am so sorry to hear you fell. Your story brought a flashback to me. I fell off a ladder a few years back and also broke my left elbow. I had what they call a terrible triad break, means I broke it in three places, and dislocated it very badly.
I only had a hard cast on for a week, then they put me in a sling for a few days while waiting for this HORRIBLE metal icky brace/immobilizer kinda thing.
When they took the cast off after a week, I was black and blue from wrist to shoulder, and it was so funny looking it made me sick.
I hope your doing ok, keep us posted. I want to know the outcome for your arm. Kinda curious as to what your doctor does compared to mine as I question some things that happened for me to this day.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts