Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be laid up after surgery next week. I started asking for good book and movie ideas. Mom gave me the Twilight series on Friday. I'm on the second book, New Moon already. At this rate, I'll be done before I even go under the knife.

Got any good books or movies to recommend??

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
After Twilight, read the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

I finished it a week or so ago and enjoyed it. It's more vampires, etc. and it's good in it's own different way.

Everyone I've lent it to so far at work is enjoying it too.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
heh heh heh, another victim! Okay, have you read the Harry Potter books? Those will keep you busy after you finish the Twilight saga.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
What kind of books do you like?

I loved the Shopaholic series by Sophia Kinsella. She has other books that I also enjoyed. It's very much chick lit, but so light and fun. Also, I really like anything by Jennifer Weiner. And Meg Cabot. All of these authors are very different from Twilight. lol. But good fun reads.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Stephenie Meyer has another book called The Host. I really liked it, but not everyone does. I was at Borders this weekend and someone was returning it because they didn't.

(Sidebar: you can return books to Borders?!)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of books do you like?
I read all kinds. I'm not a big fan of science-fiction. To give you an idea, I like Sydney Sheldon, Meave Binchy, even Stephen King. Something with drama and mystery mixed together.

I watch old movies. Haven't seen anything new in years. Mom has a netflix account. What's out there worth watching?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
There's a book called The Memory of Running. I actually first heard about it from Stephen King, in a column he writes for Entertainment Weekly. I REALLY liked it. It's not anything like King's books - a self-professed fat loser, after certain events, spontaneously embarks on a bicycle ride from Rhode Island to LA.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
You might like 2 books by Robert McCammon (not like his traditional books)--Speaks the Nightbird and Queen of Bedlam. Mystery and history together (timeperiod is early colonial America).

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Maeve has a new book out...forget the name of it. Have you read Duma Key? I have the paperback and will be glad to send it to you if you want to PM me your address, etc.

Movies; I'll look at my BB account and see what I just recently watched and enjoyed and report back. lol

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I have a half dozen books on my shelf i haven't cracked yet.. i keep buying them.. i love to read but i can only do so when i don't have to work.. i stay up all night!

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Recent movies I've given 4 or more stars:

Slumdog Millionaire
Changeling
Blindness
Traitor
Mama Mia

TV series I can also recommend if you haven't seen:
Alias
MadMen

Also - and this is for everyone - Rent the ORIGINAL State of Play - it is a British mini series (the new one with Russell Crowe is a remake) and it is excellent. Will keep you guessing til the end!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts