Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is on the board of a rescue group here in Fort Wayne, and occasionally gets exotics that need fostered. I was thinking...I could foster parrots or amphibians/reptiles for them. My DH's only complaint is that I have a hard time letting go, I fall in love with something and end up keeping it. As many of you on here are failed fosters you know what I'm talking about. How do you deal with the letting go? He'd want me to pretty much guarantee that I would let them go and wouldn't end up with a house full of failures.:smile: Any suggestions from you would be appreciated. I'm still kicking it around but want to cover all the bases before I commit. It sounds really appealing to me but still, how do I tell my heart it's only temporary?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I can tell you how I am doing it with fostering puppies... I just keep telling myself I can't financially afford a second dog right now.

I would love one, but the expenses are too much at this time. It also helps that my neighbor & I have a pact... I can't keep'em, if she can't keep one. There is no way her hubby is letting her get a second dog.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I couldn't be a foster. I don't have it in me to let go. I have a friend that was a puppy raiser. She said while it was incredibly hard to let them go she said knowing that you were helping someone was much better than the hurt you feel letting them go.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I had a friend's dog stay with us for two weeks while they were on vacation and I cried when he went home. I couldn't foster; I'd be the crazy dog lady with a huge pack that the neighbors point at and shake their heads.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
she said knowing that you were helping someone was much better than the hurt you feel letting them go.
I don't think I could do it, but I like this way of thinking. You need to let the foster go to it's new home so that you can save another, and another, and another. :)

I had a friend's dog stay with us for two weeks while they were on vacation and I cried when he went home.
I picked up a dog on the way to work and cried a half hour later as I left her at the shelter. I was assured she would be claimed in a day or so (and she was) but I got really attached on the ride there.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I think it would be a great thing for you to do. What if you only foster one, then if you can't let it go, you have the same number of pets you had before Wooie left you. What's wrong with that?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I wish you were closer; I would let you take my Senegal. My friend was supposed to take him but her husband is opposed to it. He's a good boy, I just don't give him the attention he needs, which is not fair to him.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
One of the reasons I'm not a foster parent as I would keep them all. If you can tell yourself, can't afford, going to good new home, etc. and be convinced, I say go for it. I could say the words, but know I don't mean it, hence failure before I even start! :)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I wish you were closer; I would let you take my Senegal. My friend was supposed to take him but her husband is opposed to it. He's a good boy, I just don't give him the attention he needs, which is not fair to him.
Perhaps, just perhaps, we can get a bird transport going!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
If Rushpuppy is interested, pm me. Seriously, Corey is an awesome bird but he desrves to come out the way he used to and with the dogs and having fibro, I just don't have time for it like I used to. His feathers look awful right now as he hates the heat on in winter and plucks, but he will be looking good once the humidity hits here.
My grey is a beotch and I wouldn't wish her on anyone but me. We have an "understanding". ;)
His name is Corey from Corinthians in the Bible.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
oh and the foster thing...well i am the foster failure queen here at JL. Just ask anyone that has been here for any time. The ex and I kept 5 of our 13 fosters the first year I fostered!!!!
I just adopted Jax in September, although I really knew in my heart when I took him from that shelter with a broken leg that he wouldn't be going any where.
I have a foster girl coming in a few days...I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she won't stay; she is head for NH, but even if she were not...I am at my limit both financially and what I can physically care for.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
we foster - we foster lots of animals ...hundreds of animals over the years of many species turtles, birds, dogs, guppies, beta fish, hamsters, cats, wildlife, chickens, turkeys, guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, mice, rats, snakes (don't tell hubby about those two) and probably some more

if you want to be able to let go foster younger more adoptable animals - the only way they leave here is if we know they are going to a better home than we can provide- the less adoptable ones are certainly a bigger challenge to let go - but letting go does (as someone else says) let you foster the next one in need

we now mainly specialize in high risk/palliative/difficult fostering ... and a tech at a clinic that knows me well says I have a chamelon heart - I just give little pieces of it away so it grows igger and bigger .. a nice thought eh?
there are days that letting go is very hard and there are animals that simply go nowhere ..(or stay within my "extended" family - I love it when that happens)

try it - what the heck - worst thing is you'll have one more friend in your life :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts