Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to Philadelphia for our summer vacation to visit my BFF! I have not seen her since she moved there about 4 years ago. I'm so excited!!

We plan on going to DC and NYC!

Anyone know how much the train will cost a family of four roundtrip from Philly to NYC??

Any must see attractions?? We do want to do the entire tourist thing in Philly- the Liberty Bell, there is also an Underground Railroad thing there I'd like to see..

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Sounds great, Aim!!!! I tell ya, I saw my BFF a couple of weeks ago - 1st time in like 15 years since she moved to Montana. It was like we were never apart. It's hard to find friends like that, consider yourself one of the lucky ones! :)

I have no idea how much the train costs, but I don't think it would be much. You should be able to find something online.

:)

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Aim,

Have fun!!! :D I understand your excitement, I am headed to Chicago in June to visit a college roommate, who I have not seen in a few years. In the fall, the two of us are meeting up with our third roomie at Penn State (our alma mater). We are all going to the Iowa game together.

As for the train, I think it will depend on whether you are going Amtrak or SEPTA/NJ Transit.

My sisters, mom & I are headed to NYC in a few weeks to see a Broadway show. We're going by NJ Transit from the Hamilton, NJ station & it should cost us around $22.00 per person round trip.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Just be careful when you go to see the Liberty Bell, it is not in the best of neighborhoods - or, at least it wasn't when I went to see it about 8 years ago. Stay in a group.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just be careful when you go to see the Liberty Bell, it is not in the best of neighborhoods - or, at least it wasn't when I went to see it about 8 years ago. Stay in a group.
Really?? That's too bad. :( Thanks for the tip!

She actually lives an hour outside Philly. I thought she was closer, but I just googled her address.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts

Wha?? The LB is in Independence Square. Tourist Mecca. Can't go wrong there. Now if you want to tour some neighborhoods in NORTH Phila, I can show you some really bad stuff.

Don't miss: Penn's Landing, Art Museum, Franklin Institute. Betsy Ross House. See if you can get into a concert at the Kimmel Center. Phila Zoo. Boathouse Row @ night. Reading Terminal Market. Macy's. Ride the Ducks. Battleship NJ. NJ Aquarium.

And if you're in SPhila looking for a cheesesteak, it's GENO's, not Pat's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In NYC be sure to see the Statue of Liberty, the WTC globe in Battery park,Little Italy,of course the WTC site (just be sure never to buy the photo books that the scum bags on the street are selling, they aren't suppose to be doing it) O'hara's Bar and Restaurant on Cedar Street near the WTC (pm me and I can tell you why this is a must see place) the fire fighters memorial at fire house 10 at the WTC, and Grand Central Terminal,and the Intrepid air and space museum all come to me off the top of my head

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the recommendations!! I'm making a list!

As for the train to NYC- I just looked up a roundtrip for the four of us on Amtrak- $270!!!!!! Eeeeeeeeek.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Wha?? The LB is in Independence Square. Tourist Mecca. Can't go wrong there. Now if you want to tour some neighborhoods in NORTH Phila, I can show you some really bad stuff.

Don't miss: Penn's Landing, Art Museum, Franklin Institute. Betsy Ross House. See if you can get into a concert at the Kimmel Center. Phila Zoo. Boathouse Row @ night. Reading Terminal Market. Macy's. Ride the Ducks. Battleship NJ. NJ Aquarium.

And if you're in SPhila looking for a cheesesteak, it's GENO's, not Pat's.
Dan glad you jumped in on this one! I was scratching my head wondering when the LB was ever in a bad area. Its always been around 5th & 6th, right in the historic area.

Definitely need to check out the National Constitution Center

http://constitutioncenter.org/ncc_home_Landing.aspx

Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell & the National Constitution Center all together around 5th & Arch Streets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts