Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is with these people who keep turning on their holiday lights long after Xmas is over?

It's bad enough Christmas starts about a week after Labor Day, but now we have to endure it through the whole of January?

I can almost understand someone not wanting to take the lights off the house in the cold. Heck, there are houses in my neighborhood which have had those icicle lights hanging for 4 or 5 years straight! But for Goodness sake, turn them off now! :D

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
All of my decorations were put up Dec. 21st (after my son's birthday) and taken down Dec. 26th! lol As cute as I think my Christmas tree and snowmen/Santas are, I'm not one for having things like that in/on my house.

·
Registered
903 Posts
But...they're festive! And they look really good in the snow and the kids like seeing them.

Sigh, I guess I'll have to take mine down soon. Maybe when the snow melts off them so I don't have to break them. Gotta take down my Christmas tree too - was going to do that on Monday but we were sidetracked and I didn't have the oomph for it.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I personally love the lights and wish we could keep them up all year round.
Many people will take them down today.

But again, my outside lights are still going at night. My tree has not been lit in days.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm usually a stickler for that, too...but I just took my tree down yesterday. Had it lit the night before. It was just so pretty this year, I didn't want to part with it. :)

But yea, there are so many outside lights still lit...it bugs me. :p

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I don't think Jan. 6 is bad. I believe some people leave the decorations up, purposefully, till Epiphany, which I believe is today.

I actually find it depressing when all the holiday decorations come down. Everything looks so empty.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I think most of them are pretty....they don't really bother me. I haven't seen too many still on in my neighborhood, though.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I think most of them are pretty....they don't really bother me. I haven't seen too many still on in my neighborhood, though.
A big inflatable Santa might be overkill at this point, but I think lights on the house or bushes are still nice.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I can almost understand someone too lazy to take the lights off the house. Heck, there are houses in my neighborhood which have had those icicle lights hanging for 4 or 5 years straight! But for Goodness sake, turn them off now! :D
Are you talking about my house? :rolleyes:

I've had mine up for the last 4 or 5 years. I cant be bothered taking them down & for the last 2 years, I couldn't be bothered turning them on.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Today is my deadline. I'll give people til Little Christmas, but then...people, you gotta take them down.

Valentines day is coming...hang in there. There's always another holiday right around th corner.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
//blush//

Ours are still burning brightly. And include our large, inflatable Santa. The outside lights were a HUGE part of my finding joy this season, and I'm really putting off dousing them. Although I know the time is here. Definitely pulling the plugs on them this wknd. BTW -- We're not the only house on our circle still lit for Christmas. They're dwindling, but there are a few stalwarts.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Obviously you don't live where it's terribly cold. Ours won't come down until probably March. The last day they were on was New Year's Eve though.
30 here all week but feels like 14 with the wind chill factor. :(

I was half joking when I started this thread. But I was referring to the lights being turned on not left out. :) (I have edited my original post)

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Oh, the Christmas tree has been down since the 29th. I was realdy for the mess and needles to be gone. It had been up since the 5th.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
eta - Our tree is still in the living room, lit nightly. The trains and little village, however, left Monday night. Santa swung by and picked it up yet again, promising its return next Dec.

We tend to UN-decorate late because we DECORATE so late (purposefully, looking to maximize the Advent v. Christmas distinction). This year, the tree didn't go up 'til Dec 19....

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
eta - Our tree is still in the living room, lit nightly. The trains and little village, however, left Monday night. Santa swung by and picked it up yet again, promising its return next Dec.

We tend to UN-decorate late because we DECORATE so late (purposefully, looking to maximize the Advent v. Christmas distinction). This year, the tree didn't go up 'til Dec 19....
:D

Our tree is still up too. :eek:

...being taken down tonight though...

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Don't come to Canada then Dave. We not only leave ours on the roof ALL year long, but we also leave them lit ALL winter.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Our tree is down. Candles in the window remain for another week and turned on. I like the look of houses on our street with candles in the windows--it makes January seem less dark.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts