Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I know Nick is!

A bunch of my law school friends are driving down today and coming back for our Monday afternoon final..

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I'll be watching!!! It would be so much fun to go!!!

The closest I'll ever get is going to the Preakness (haha)

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I'm in Louisville but I'm leaving town tomorrow it's so nuts around here. All the festivities got me out of work a little early yesterday and the boss said we're leaving early today too though so I can't complain.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to go to ANY race (Preakness included!!!), but going to the Derby is seriously a dream of mine. My mom and I both would LOVE to go, and have never done so.

I'm not sure what time the race comes on tomorrow, but hopefully I'll be home in time to watch it! Otherwise I guess I'll listen to it on XM in the car.

T

·
0 Posts
I will be watching it at the our dog track betting on some of the horses.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
gabbys mom said:
I know Nick is!

A bunch of my law school friends are driving down today and coming back for our Monday afternoon final..
It took FOREVER to get home after my torts final this morning for Oaks Day. The track is just down the road from the law school. I hadn't planned on going, but I've changed my mind and I'm going to the Derby tomorrow...sleazing it up in the infield. :D I've lived in Kentucky my entire life and this will be my first Derby.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
My SU considers it a national holiday. He will be planted in front of the TV all day long, and my in-laws are coming over to watch too. Sooner or later, we will make it in person, but the vacation packages SU has checked in to that are Derby-related are extremely expensive (like $5,000 per person).

We watched Tiago win the Santa Anita Derby last month, he's in the 15th post position tomorrow. Tomorrow's race seems like one where anything can happen.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nick said:
It took FOREVER to get home after my torts final this morning for Oaks Day. The track is just down the road from the law school. I hadn't planned on going, but I've changed my mind and I'm going to the Derby tomorrow...sleazing it up in the infield. :D I've lived in Kentucky my entire life and this will be my first Derby.
I guess you are a U of L law student? My aunt has a law degree from U of L :).

Anyway I've also lived in Kentucky my whole life and I've never been to the Derby. I love going to Keeneland in Lexington during the spring meet but even that has gotten a bit too crazy to be much fun. Someday I'll make it to the Derby though!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
It has been a lifelong dream of mine to go to the Kentucky Derby. I will make it someday...

However, for this year, I will be home, watching it on tv. Sipping a mint julep.
(Anyone with a good recipe??)

Maybe I will even wear a silly hat. :p

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I'm driving down to Louisville tomorrow, but we're not going to the Derby.

(we have an appointment to meet some Labs Sunday morning ;))

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
AmazonGold said:
I'm driving down to Louisville tomorrow, but we're not going to the Derby.

(we have an appointment to meet some Labs Sunday morning ;))
Oh, I see. I guess my invitation must have gotten lost in the mail. :p (I'm kidding)

BdoUK said:
Nick said:
I guess you are a U of L law student? My aunt has a law degree from U of L :).

Anyway I've also lived in Kentucky my whole life and I've never been to the Derby. I love going to Keeneland in Lexington during the spring meet but even that has gotten a bit too crazy to be much fun. Someday I'll make it to the Derby though!
You guessed correctly. I love Keeneland, in fact, I like it a lot better than Churchill Downs. I went to UK for undergrad so I spent some quality time at the track. You're right, though, it has gotten worse in terms of crowds even since I've been going (and that's only been since 2000).

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anne said:
It has been a lifelong dream of mine to go to the Kentucky Derby. I will make it someday...
Who needs a Labfest? Next year we could have a LabOWNERfest at the Derby! :D

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
bacatherine said:
I'm in Louisville but I'm leaving town tomorrow it's so nuts around here. All the festivities got me out of work a little early yesterday and the boss said we're leaving early today too though so I can't complain.
I don't know how you get home, but I have to take either Preston Hwy or I-65 to I-264 and so I always get to drive by the airport and it was amazing to see all those private jets parked at the end of the tarmac. I bet there were a good 20 planes out there.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
LarrytheLabs Mom said:
Anne said:
Who needs a Labfest? Next year we could have a LabOWNERfest at the Derby! :D
Let's do it! ;D

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Wow, that was awesome. I have to admit, that was worth every dollar, and I'm pretty partial to the infield now....that's definitely where the fun is. This was my first year, and I don't think it will be my last. Now I get to pack all night, hungover, and move all day tomorrow. :-\ Can you say piss-poor planning?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nick! I'm so glad you had fun! I didn't make it home from school in time to watch the race, but I had the dvr catch it, so hopefully I'll see it tomorrow.

Now tell us truthfully- did you actually WATCH the horses run, or did you just drink? :D

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
LarrytheLabs Mom said:
Nick! I'm so glad you had fun! I didn't make it home from school in time to watch the race, but I had the dvr catch it, so hopefully I'll see it tomorrow.

Now tell us truthfully- did you actually WATCH the horses run, or did you just drink? :D
I enjoyed all that the Infield has to offer. :D Yeah, I didn't watch much.

J

·
0 Posts
I dont much care about the racing part, but I would like to go just so I could dress up and wear a big hat! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts